Small Woodland Owners' Group

Oliver Rackham lectures Sept 2014

Events, meetings and courses

Oliver Rackham lectures Sept 2014

Postby davetb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi,
I have just signed up for a three day residential course in Herefordshire on 8-11th September.
It's called Trees, Woodland & the Herefordshire Landscape.
It's being led by Prof. Oliver Rackham.
There are stil a few places, I believe.
Here's a link to the flyer
http://www.bsbi.org.uk/HELLENS.application_form.pdf
Looks a promising course - obviously a bit more relevant if you have a Herefordshire woodland.
Cheers,
Dave
davetb

Re: Oliver Rackham lectures Sept 2014

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 am

I'll be interested in your comments after you've been.

We attended a five-day residential course, "Trees and Woodland in the British Landscape" at Flatford Mill (http://www.field-studies-council.org/centres/flatfordmill.aspx) in 2007, also led by Oliver Rackham.

Overall it was very good with most days comprising classroom lectures and a field trip. Some of the classroom lecture sessions were perhaps too long. Ignoring the evidence that people retain most knowledge when presented with it in short bursts, some of them went on for many hours with only a brief break. I'd also suggest that while Professor Rackham is obviously extremely knowledgable and his books gain excellent reviews, his style of presentation in the classroom could benefit from some adjustment - he could talk at length without seemingly being aware of any of the signals/cues/feedback coming from the audience. I recall after a few days, we protested at the end of one long afternoon classroom session, the attendees stating that the after-dinner evening lecture would be replaced by a walk to the local pub where we would be delighted to provide the professor with his drinks at our expense. He agreed most readily and we had a delightful evening of chat and tales instead.
SimonFisher

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:35 am

would have liked to attend - especially as its just up the road, but unfortunately scheduled to be away at work
Terry

Postby davetb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 pm

First evening completed of the course. We met up, had a drink, then dinner and then a hour long lecture. There are three one hour lectures in total held in a bar with an honesty box. Every day will be out at 2/3 woods with a further hour long lecture at end of day in the bar, after dinner. The organiser has said Prof. Rackham is far more interesting out in the 'field'. It appears she's getting the best out of him.
First lecture was good. Changes in tree cover / woodland management from prehistory to the present.
So far so good, full day tomorrow.
Hall's wood then Little Doward.
davetb

Postby davetb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Wow - I'm in awe of Oliver Rackham - great knowledge, and great enthusiasm.
The photo is him in a hollow Ash tree, in Moccas deer park.
Fantastic course, best parts for me were wandering around the woodlands asking questions.
Today I saw a very similar area to my woods - a large area of very closely packed silver birch, of the same age.
He looked and announced ' failed plantation ', native trees have swamped the attempted plantation. Suddenly my 'patch' makes sense, it's adjacent to the PAWS but east facing ( the successful plantation is North facing ).
Innumerable similar moments when features of my woods now make a bit more sense.
They are planning to repeat this course ( not sure when ), it involves being 'out in the field ' from 9.15 until 19.00 and then an hour lecture at 20.00. I felt it worked very well and was never bored.
Attachments
image.jpg
davetb

Postby Terry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:38 am

Sounds interesting and would have liked to attend - damn this interruption to real life called a job :)
Do you know if the repeat will be at the same location or elsewhere in the country??
Terry

Postby davetb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 pm

I would imagine it will be at same location. If I get any advance warning, I will post it here. Most of us on the course are planning to 'keep in touch'.
davetb

Postby Terry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks Dave - will keep a watch for it too.
Terry

Return to Forthcoming Events