Small Woodland Owners' Group

free tuition offer

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby splodger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 am

i just thought i would make a post - on behalf of my father; who although battling with cancer for quite a few years; feels well enough to start up tuition sessions again - to people who are interested in green woodworking

all he would like in return is a bit of help with general coppice tasks, whilst you are there

the copse is based in hampshire (about 5 mins from Romsey)

i can post up more details and some contact info if anybody is interested

splodger

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 am

Hi Splodger

Sounds like a good deal, what sort of green woodwork would your father be able to teach, numbers he'd be able to accommodate? Maybe we can get a small group interested?

cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby splodger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 am

hi Rich - i think my dad is quite flexible - regards numbers etc - he used to do group tuition (before his illness) but the organisation that arranged the tuition (which he gave for free) was charging the "pupils" and he thought that was out of order, so he thought it better if he (and I) could arrange a few lessons

re what sort of green woodwork - as it is mostly chestnut on site - tuition could cover all aspects of working with sweet chestnut - maybe ash and hazel too

my father has worked with wood and woodland for almost all of his life (he is 72) so has a wealth of knowledge that he would love to pass on to people that are keen to learn (especially doing things the traditional way)

he has in the past taught people of varying abilities - and is often called on by very experienced woodmen for hints and tips on certain techniques etc

splodger

Postby Rich » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Splodger,

OK great, maybe we can get people to register an interest on the board here to get a rough idea of numbers, then I'll be in touch off list to work out a date etc.

Rich - definate

Penny - Maybe

Cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Hengus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 am

I would be (I am!) exceedingly interested. I do live in North Wales and undertake shift work so as much notice as possible would be great.

What a lovely offer :-)

Hengus

Postby splodger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am

thanks rich - that's a great idea

i did enquire a few months ago about changing the email address listed in my profile - as the one i originally registered when i joined is no longer active - is there a way to update it please?

re the tuition - for people having to travel - there is no accommodation unfortunately - so you would have to arrange that yourselves if you require a stop-over

just let me know if anybody requires any more info - especially if you would like tuition on a specific thing - and i can ask my dad if he can cover that in any sessions

splodger

Postby Rich » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Splodger,

If you could email me your new address to [email protected], I'll make sure it gets updated. I did try sending an email to your registered one but sounds like it doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby splodger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 pm

email sent - thanks - might need to check spam mail though as emails do have a habit of going there

splodger

Postby bagnally » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:29 pm

I would be very interested in your kind offer splodger. I could do with learning some green woodworking skills. I'm new to coppicing though, never done it before would that be a problem?

bagnally

Postby splodger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 am

bagnally - you would be more than welcome - a desire to learn is the only skill requirement

the general coppice tasks won't be anything too taxing - in fact many maybe quite mundane (unless dad fancies taking a big leaner down or something - which may involve a lot of rope pulling and clearing up)

splodger

Next

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions