Small Woodland Owners' Group

The Price of firewood ?

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby RichardKing » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Chris Yarrow of Wilderness wood charges £81 a cubic metre, delivered within 5 miles. On Saturday I asked him how he did it, I didnt understand his answer, but I guess it comes down to what you can get away with. Good luck to him!

RichardKing

Postby DaveTaz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 pm

A friend of mine has just bought a load from this tree surgeon for £70. It just about filled two of those large builders bags that you get sand etc in (1 Tonne bags). I guess that may be about 2 cubic metres in total. The wood looks ok although a bit damp due to being outside and not under cover recently. Also it is rather mixed with some bits of softwood and some willow in there, but at £70 I don't think the buyer is going to complain!

DaveTaz

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi Dave not sure about the builders bags as I can fill two out of our Ford ranger which is what I call a standard pick up load (7ft 6 X5ft). As far as species is concerned I don't put willow or softwood (has a habit of spiting) in as I don't regard them as firewood although willow works well as charcoal, I know this that there are a lot of less reputable firewood sellers that will put anything in and a spare wheel under the load as well if they can get away with it but if you sell good stuff and it is reasonably priced then you will get and keep good customers.

hope this helps

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Previous

Return to Produce