Small Woodland Owners' Group

Advice on a felling/milling plan

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Advice on a felling/milling plan

Postby Justin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a farm which has 6.5 acres of broadleaf woodland that we plan to manage as part of our proposed campsite down in Devon. Just discovered today that the land also includes a stand of (I think, but need to double check) mature larch trees, about 90 of them that we'll want to fell.

I need to find out about getting a license to fell them and how to deal with the wood. We're looking at felling this summer and then seasoning to use them next year, possibly to build the decks for our bell tents and yurts, and also possibly to keep some as large timbers to frame the planned office/reception/shop to go on the site and mill some trees to use as wany edged larch to clad the building. If we can do that it would have incredibly low inherent energy. Fell/mill/frame all on site :)

Does this seem reasonable or what sort of issues might we face. Never owned a wood before nor do I know how reasonable our first thought on this might be. We have a large barn type building for storing large timbers and for doing the framing work and there is ample space to stack and air dry timber planking if it's cut on site with a portable wood mill that we'd most likely hire in for the job.

Thanks, Justin.
Justin

Re: Advice on a felling/milling plan

Postby Toby Allen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm

What would you replace them with ?
Toby Allen

Re: Advice on a felling/milling plan

Postby Bulworthy Project » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

Felling them in the summer would be during nesting season. not sure what the forestry commision take on that would be, but it's certainly not best practice. Some people say that they check the trees for nests first, but even with good eyesight it would be hard to see a goldcrest nest at the top of a mature larch.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Return to Produce