Small Woodland Owners' Group

Selling firewood

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Selling firewood

Postby OldCopsers » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:55 pm

I have a large surplus of thinned birch, of varying diameter, for which I am trying to find a buyer in order to help finance ongoing work in the wood. The wood fuel dealers I've contacted only seem interested in huge quantities rather than the few tons that I have stacked along my ride. Also their huge machinery and vehicles might find the ride and a 10 foot gate impossible to negotiate. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find a purchaser for my timber?
OldCopsers

Re: Selling firewood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 pm

adding your rough location may help in replies, and welcome to the forum, perhaps you would care to introduce yourself in the relevant section
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 am

hi and welcome to the forum :D

i guess you need to decide if you want it all gone in one go - or sold off in smaller loads.
smaller loads would be more attractive to homeowners - so a card in your local shop window would probably do the trick - because of the increase in fuel charges, people are more willing than ever to try and make savings - so if you sell it at a fair price - i'm sure you'll get quite a few inerested - that's assuming that you don't mind having people visit you at the woods.

you might meet a few really good sorts - that would take your surplus year on year.

we have quite a few private buyers that come to our woods - to collect and load their own. they save a few quid - we save time and a bit of effort.

if you want it gone in one load - try an ad on gumtree - setting out your terms and conditions ec - again i'm sure you'll get a few bites.

how long has the birch been down - as it doesn't last outside for long ?
splodger

Postby Rich » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:36 am

You could try Woodlots

http://www.woodnet.org.uk/woodlots/

it is aimed mainly at higher volume producers, but anyone can post and quite a few people read it. I would be inclined to try and get rid of it as soon as possible. I've found birch has a fairly short shelf life, if it stays out for more than a season it will start to rot. You could cover it with a tarp, but leave the sides open to let the air in and water out.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby OldCopsers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Wood is in West Sussex, near Horsham. While I take your point about birch, I have found that it will last two seasons, and three at a pinch if stacked on bearers. I'm burning three year old wood now!
OldCopsers

Return to Produce