Small Woodland Owners' Group

Economics of woodland

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby Exeldama » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

As an ongoing purchaser meaning i am buying at the mo.... i to have had doubts, "can i afford it", "do i have the time"..."why am i buying it".

I have gradually come to the conclusion that if it all goes pear shaped and a limb falls off, i lose my job , or plague breaks out...or ...well many more things, i can always re-sell it.

My mum is dead against the whole idea and has tried to disuade me. I am a single guy so have no back up, and i have two kids to think of...but funny thing is i sneaked down to my wood a couple of weeks ago with my children and we explored a bit more. They dissapeared for a few moments and i found them making homes for woodlice.

The fact my son is 13 and interested in girls and being cool, made it all the sweeter.

They named one of the woodlice DEREK.... for me if i can give my kids many more of those moments the value of this hairbrained idea , that will make me nothing, cost time and money, give me bruises and cuts, tired feet and lots of driving will be worth it...then in 20 years (i hope) ...grandchildren.

Exeldama

Postby tracy » Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 am

I think you have just summed up why we all love our woods - moments like that. Your children will love owning their own wood - what precious memories for them.

I hope Derek is very happy!

tracy

Postby Darren » Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 am

I don't think you can go wrong investing in land as long as it's long term. And you can't put a price on fun.

Darren

Previous

Return to Produce