Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bager cull

Local group stuff

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 am

It will be hypocritical to bring back Fox hunting with dogs. They made it law to check live traps daily and not drowning the catch and quite rightly too. Bringing back fox hunting is going to give the wrong message for animal welfare. I have nothing against hunting just that it needs to be dispatched cleanly and quickly.

Darren

Postby Keith Williams » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:56 am

Henrietta & Exeldma, thanks for your posts. Nice to hear first hand about someone handling badgers rather than tenth hand stories! I like foxes precisely because they're very intelligent - you can actually convince them you're not a danger, without feeding them, and they'll tolerate your presence. Loads of Badger activity in the woods I was in last weekend which is nice to see. I've never been close to a hunt kill and could well change my mind if I did see what went on. Incidentally, hunting is illegal currently and I really do object to hunts 'accidentally' breaking at least the spirit of the law, even if that law is, as I've seen reported, poorly framed .

Keith Williams

Postby John H » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

I too like the fox, especially if he would eat next doors guinea fowl that come all over our land and wake us up a 5.00am by croaking outside our bedroom window. The trouble is I have twice seen him being chased off by a group of the croaking fowl. Mind you I don't blame him, I know how he feels, anything for a quite life!

He lives in an old oak pollard that is rotting in the middle, how he gets up there I don't know as it is at least 6 foot of the ground. The ivy that grows up it has been stripped of leaves as he clambers up. I did think I should make him some form of steps but then they might frighten him off. He may of coarse be a she.

He must be doing some good as last year there were 18 guinea fowl , now there are 6.

John H

Previous

Return to Wales