Small Woodland Owners' Group

Any chance of any volunteers??

Local group stuff

Postby Emma S » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 pm

This is a huge long shot and quite an ask, but wondered if there was anyone in the South East who might be willing to volunteer to help us do some coppicing before spring?

we have had one problem after another (not related to the woodland) and now we are in the position that we are supposed to coppice an area of woodland on our farm and we are rapidly running out of time. To add insult to injury, my partner's father lent his chainsaw to people in their holiday cottage and we have found that they broke it! (probably fixable, but more time and just another thing to add to the list of disasters which struck since last sept)

We have an acre to clear, it is all pretty old hornbeam (about 80 years) although not too closely spaced in the area to be cleared. We have a woodland management plan, and we are also retaining archaeological features such as woodbanks and an old charcoal platform, as well as standards of a few varient species in the wood.

Emma S

Postby tracy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:13 pm

If you wish to be in touch with eachother, I can access your email address and put you in touch. Just let me know

Tracy

tracy

Postby Emma S » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 pm

that would be great please Tracy

xx

Emma S

Postby Toby Allen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Emma,

If you need it cutting I can recommend someone that will coppice in exchange for the timber, or a percentage of the sale. Where abouts in E Sussex?

He's been at it for years and is used to working sensitive sites.

Though this is a frantic time of year with everyone realising they've got to get more wood on the floor and the clock ticking. I spoke to him the other day and he'd finished his patch early.

Toby Allen

Postby hornbeam_mad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi,

Whereabouts are your woods? If its not too far to drive, I'm not sure how much help I could be but I'd be willing.

I've just finished my lantra chainsaw maintenance/cross cutting and my felling trees up to 15inches and have my NPTC assessment booked in a few weeks. I have my own saw (well it technically belongs to mum and dad but I do all the sawing).

Depending on work etc (Im an agency driver so irregular and last minute hours) I'd be happy to help in exchange for saw fuel, lunch and the practice.

Tracey please feel free to pass on my email.

hornbeam_mad

Postby Emma S » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I will speak to my other half. Today we were trying to get fences up to stop the neighbours trespassing all over our fields, and clearing ruddy great swathes of brambles (such fun) and, my favourite, pulling long stems of dog rose out of blackthorn, entangled in old rusty barbed wire. Too many spikes for anyone. I am going to speak to our guy at the Forestry Commission and ask if we might be able to start the coppicing next year, as we only need to coppice every 3 years (we have 11 acres of wood in that parcel of land but obviously hornbeam is a slow grower) and as there was a holdup with our felling licence they might let us do the smaller patches in the other bits of woods first.

I will be in touch, and the more the merrier, it would be good to do it this year if we can possibly do it, but time is running out...

Emma S

Postby Emma S » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:32 pm

oops, forgot to say, we are about 4 miles from battle, east Sussex

Emma S

Postby Emma S » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm

phew.

just spoken to the Forestry commission and the panic is over.

The woodland plan appears to be only something to aspire to, and is not set in stone.

Thanks so much for the offers of help though, have emailed you

Emma S

Return to South East