Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wilderness first responder course

Local group stuff

Postby tracy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm

There are a few places left for this fantastic Wilderness First responder course (first aid where help might not be immediately available - and of course very useful when it is!) Seriously, think about it.

I know that we have had one very sad death and at least one serious injury among our SWOG members in their woods, and that's just the ones I know about. Please, take some training!

http://elst.co.uk/2-day-wilderness-first-responder-first-ai

3rd and 4th March in a woodland near Hastings. A few of us have done this course and loved it. Talk to me about special prices for SWOG members.

Tracy

tracy

Postby Emma S » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 am

oooh I would be interested in that, especially as its just down the road from me. Special prices sound good too!

Emma S

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 pm

I will email you ;-)

tracy

Postby tektoms » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Agreed! I went to the last one and it was an amazing experience! It makes such a difference knowing, not thinking, that you can actually save someone's life!

Strongly recommend it :) Plus Andy and Alison were great! And the hostess of the woodland too!

tektoms

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Just bumping this, Andy has a couple of spaces left on the course, anyone else want to go along?

tracy

Postby jillybean » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

I would be Interested. have to check on childcare duties, Could you mail me about costs please Tracy? thanks

jillybean

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

will do!

tracy

Postby Exeldama » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 pm

I did a refresh of an outdoor responder last year for my Rescue work.....i would highly recommend any first aid courses...in my view it should be a compulsory element of schooling and work.... it save lives and there is nothing worse than being helpless when help is needed.......

Exeldama

Postby RichardKing » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I hope that there is a clear understanding of the difference between first aid in the UK and a "wilderness first responder course".

Very little & perhaps none of the of the UK can truly be considered "wilderness", especially with recent advances in communications.

First aiders in the UK are expected only to do as much as is neccessary to keep a patient alive untill the emergency services arrive.

In a true wilderness situation first aiders may have to resort to procedures that are in themselves potentialy life threatening to a patient, including moving them.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, the course does deal with this issue. There are places and times in the UK when the first responder may need to deal with the patient alone for more than the allotted 12 mins or whatever the hoped arrival time for an ambulance is. Not forgetting that it could be difficult for them to get to us in the middle of our woodlands, or that yes, sometimes we may need to move the patient. This course will also help should any of us find ourselves in the true wilderness somewhere abroad!

We learned a lot about when we simply have to risk moving a patient when it becomes the last resort but most of it is practical first aid that I hope I will never need to use, but know that it is good to know about!

tracy

Next

Return to South East