Small Woodland Owners' Group

Track maintenance - Pilot in the South East

Local group stuff

Track maintenance - Pilot in the South East

Postby Rich » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 am

At the moment, this will just apply to people who have woodlands bought from woodlands.co.uk in the South East and who share tracks.

Tracks are important for access and woodlands.co.uk are keen to prevent these tracks from becoming overgrown. Cutting back the undergrowth helps to keep the tracks dryer for longer, and of course by letting in light, increases the variety of habitat for wildlife available to the wood.

Woodlands.co.uk are commencing a pilot sheme offering financial help to keep these tracks from becoming overgrown. Many of you who visited the tent at Bentley Woodfair will have learnt about this and filled in a short questionaire. If this is of interest to you and your group of owners, please email me and I will send you the questionaire.

Remember for the time being, this is a pilot scheme only for woodland owners who have bought woods from woodlands.co.uk in the South East
thanks
[email protected]

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Re: Track maintenance - Pilot in the South East

Postby richie1969 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi

With shared tracks within a woodlands.co.uk wood, I know that it is permissable to undertake maintenance to keep the track clear, but I wish to remove a few birches which are now growing out over the track. These are in plots not marked out or sold yet. What's exceptable in clearing branches and small trees? The birches by the way are growing under the canopy of pine trees. I only want to maintain the width of the track and allow air and sunlight in to dry and preserve the track.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
richie1969

Re: Track maintenance - Pilot in the South East

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Contact the Woodlands agent for your area and outline what you'd like to do. You may well find them amenable.

Simon
SimonFisher

Return to South East