Small Woodland Owners' Group

Any SWOG Members in the Midlands?

Local group stuff

Re: Any SWOG Members in the Midlands?

Postby boxerman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am

Most of the civilised world is the other side (North side) of the Thames...
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Andy M » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

In Norfolk, we consider those from Lincs to be westerners
Andy M

Postby Lincswood » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Ha ha, that's exactly what I used to think when I lived in London - in fact, I wasn't even sure where Lincolnshire was! But now I'm here, I love it. And I guess I'm almost in the North, as I'm only 15 miles from the Humber. Not much woodland up here either, so I feel lucky to have found a bit of heaven up here...
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420667914.354140.jpg
Lincswood

Postby veitchy64 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 am

Hi there, has anything been organised about a west Midlands group yet? Would love to hear.
veitchy64

Postby Rich » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:19 am

Hi veitchy,
Tracy set up these geographic regions a good few years ago, before I was involved. They haven't been used much, and looking back on the thread, it seems a lot of time was spent discussing which region each owners woods were actually in! I think they were originally based on the geographical divisions woodlands.co.uk use to divide the agent's regions.

Anyway what I have been starting to develop recently is the use of closed forum groups, sub groups of the regional divisions for owners of divided or lotted woodland and other interested parties. The idea being that these groups can use the forum software to discuss issues directly relating to their 'parent' woodlands. (It's easier and clearer to follow this kind of discussion than in endless round robin cc and bcc emails) This may be issues about anything from the shared gates and rides and social gatherings to collaborating with management plans and felling licenses. It could also be opened to trusted contractors, or even known dog walkers who I know some woodland owners encourage as another pair of eyes and ears to report back any unusual goings on. In short it is for the sort of thing that owners would not necessarily want to divulge on a public board.

This was the subject of an ongoing discussion here a couple of years ago

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1945

It all got a bit muddled as everyone seemed to have different ideas about what a private forum should be for. I suppose in principal I could set up private forums for other groups who deem it necessary but I think it would be better to use them in the first instance for woodland owners. Then progress from there if and when the demand arises. I think each group would need a coordinator so if you or anyone else wants to take this on I would be happy to start setting up these groups.
Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Previous

Return to Central