Small Woodland Owners' Group

Coppicing courses Malvern

Local group stuff

Postby tracy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Coppicing courses 2010 by Phil Hopkinson

www.malverncoppicing.co.uk

Please e-mail phil at [email protected] to check availabilityor visit the website.

Booking forms can be downloaded from the website:- www.malverncoppicing.co.uk

COPPICING COURSE DATES

WEEKEND COURSES

9th -10th January 2010 There will be a camp cook on this course with communial soups etc. provided for lunch.

6th -7th February 2010

27th - 28th February 2010

TWO DAY COPPICING COURSES

The two day coppicing courses I run are an introduction to coppicing for people who have no experience of coppicing or for volunteers and others who have a little experience but would like to gain more knowledge. There is a maximum of 6 people on each course.

They are ideal for woodland owners who have acquired woodland but have little practical knowledge of woodland management and coppicing.

The training courses include tree identification, the benefits of coppicing, a walk through the wood to look at how the areas coppiced over the last ten years and the differences between native deciduous woodland and conifer plantations, coppice restoration, working methods, material selection and processing, material storage and building work breaks.

Good quality sharp tools will be provided. A certificate and full course notes along with a tree identification guide are included in the course fee.

We have the use of the classroom at Ravenshill for some of the training, the vast majority of the training will be conducted outdoors in my woodland workshop where there is a camp fire, and camp kitchen where hot drinks are supplied and a fire and cooking utensils are provided for trainees to cook their own food.

The course is over two days, usually over a weekend.

It costs £95 for the two days. A £20 deposit is required.

ONE DAY COURSES

Saturday 13th March 2010

ONE DAY PRACTICAL COPPICING COURSES

The one day coppicing courses I run are an introduction to coppicing for woodland owners, volunteers and others who have no experience of coppicing. There is a maximum of 8 people on each course.

The training courses include working methods, coppice restoration, working methods, material selection and processing. Material storage and building work breaks.

Good quality sharp tools will be provided. A certificate and full course notes are included in the course fee.

The vast majority of the training will be conducted outdoors in my woodland workshop where there is a camp fire, and camp kitchen where hot drinks are supplied and a fire and cooking utensils are provided for trainees to cook their own food.

The course duration is one day, usually over a weekend.

It costs £50 for the day. A £20 deposit is required.

My courses take place at Ravenshill Woodland Reserve, Alfrick, Worcestershire, which is a 50 acre privately owned nature reserve, which has a patchwork of diverse habitat including many indicator species of ancient semi-natural woodland. It has both deciduous and various conifer species.

Camping is available in the wood for course participants on two day courses at a cost of £6 per night per person. There are some excellent hotels and B&B'S locally.

My gift vouchers are an ideal present for Christmas, a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion and a way to give your friend or loved one the chance to spend time in the woodland and learn more about the traditional craft of coppicing.

tracy

Return to Central