Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land for use in Devon?

Local group stuff

Postby nomadcelt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Good afternoon,

I run a small survival school on weekends. Currently, I use a patch of woodland in Hampshire and it serves me exceptionally well.

My family and I shall shortly be moving to the Exeter area and I was wondering if anyone has any woodland/open land available that I might be able to rent for about one weekend per month. Free classes would obviously also be thrown in!!

Many thanks,

John

Landrock Survival Training

http://www.landrock-training.com

nomadcelt

Postby TomB » Sun May 09, 2010 6:06 am

John,

Did you ever get anywhere with a site near Exeter?

TomB

Postby woodbodger » Sun May 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Have a look at woodbury common there is miles of it if the marines can run riot over it playing war games I don't see why you shouldn't it is common land after all.

woodbodger

Postby TomB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:16 am

Woodbodger, you need to be careful. The rights on common land vary from common to common and are only applicable to the commoners of the parish that the common applies to.

For eample, I often take the kids to walk over the Royal Marine training area by Woodbury (that bit is actually Bicton Common - check on a Landranger map). Since I live just outside Exeter, in theory we should stick to the rights of way or we are trespassing!

TomB

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 am

All Common Land has a legal owner- since the CROW act everyone has the right to walk on it but only people with specific rights of common to any given Common have rights to graze stock or collect wood etc. from it. It would constitute an act of criminal damage and agravated trespass (and possibly arson) if you were to light a fire on Common Land.

Some Commons have certain rights available to all but there are very few of these.

If you want to do more than just walk on a Common then contact the commoners association for that common to check what the position is.

Common Land is typically only 'common' to it's Commoners and not, as is often thought, common to all.

Stephen1

Postby nomadcelt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 pm

I use Woodbury Common a great deal for walks / foraging, etc but I'm unable to light fires on there and so it's more or less useless for my needs. I am still looking for land if anyone is out there.

oh, I know ALL about the Royal Marines on Woodbury ;o)

nomadcelt

Return to South West