Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Rental Shares

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Woodland Rental Shares

Postby katherineklinger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm

We have 20 acres of woodland on the Surrey/Hampshire border, one hour from Central London. We are interested in renting the woods to up to 10 families/individuals for an initial five year commitment. Each renter unit will have unlimited access time-wise to the woods, and subject to following our management plan, welcome to work as much or as little as they wish in the woodland. Each renter will be entitled to an agreed amount of wood per annum, which may be stored and dried for firewood or used for other wood products. The main 'rule' for all users is 'Leave no trace', and there are as few other rules as possible. Camping is welcome. We believe there is ample space for everyone, even if all renters were there at the same time. The woodland is both broadleaf and coniferous, with a 5 acre South-facing open glade, created and maintained as a firebreak and wildlife sanctuary. The main idea behind what we are offering is that with the significantly high price of woodland in the overcrowded South-East, plus its scarcity, woodland rental shares offer an affordable and intriguing option. For a financial outlay that might get you less than an acre if you could find it anywhere....we offer access, wood produce and enjoyment of 20 acres of woodland, set in over 200. If you are interested to find out more - please email us.
Last edited by katherineklinger on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
katherineklinger

Re: Woodland Rental Shares

Postby Toby Allen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Sounds like a good way to bring in an income from your wood. Are there other models for the system or is this a new thing ?
Toby Allen

Postby katherineklinger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm

I've searched all over the internet under 'woodland to rent' and can't find anything. I've also checked out all of the agents I know who sell woodland and they have nothing to rent, but say they are asked. It occurred to me that we rent as well as buy houses and flats, so why not woodland? It is such a privilege to have access to private woods - to get to know and observe them, to sleep in them, to build fires and forage in them - but unless you have a considerable amount of cash, it's pretty much impossible in the South East of England to have this experience. That's why I came up with the woodland rental share idea - a twist on a timeshare - i.e. unlimited access, with wood and woodland produce as part of the deal. By renting to only a limited number of people, this will mean that the woods can be enjoyed by far more people than at present- yet the sense of remoteness and privacy can be maintained. The idea of a minimum five year rental commitment is because woodland life moves at its own pace and I thought this kind of time span (and longer), as a minimum, will appeal to those interested in woodland. Income generated will be put back into the woodland and ideally, I would like rental sharers to be as involved as possible in the annual cycle of the woodland and its work. So as far as I know its a new idea and I really welcome feedback and thoughts and suggestions from SWOG members.
katherineklinger

Postby Toby Allen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Will the share holders receive a dividend as the woodland goes up in value and timber sales ? It could be a fairly sound investment as the price of woodland grows steadily (like trees). Like wise will the shares be 'bought back' at the end of the 5 year term or offered to sale to some one else ? If a share holder needs to raise capital can they sell their shares on or offer them back to the group?

Or do you keep full ownership and benefits, and just take money for letting people visit ?
Toby Allen

Postby van777 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am

Hi,
I am very interested in possibly renting a share in your woodland, I've been looking for ages. I don't really know anything about woodland management but will be willing to help out etc, I'm really just looking for a place to escape to on weekends etc, with my wife and son and do some camping and teach my boy about bushcraft tracking etc. please can you contact me with further details, I'm happy for Tracey or rich to pass on my contact details.
Kind regards
Brett
van777

Postby jillybean » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

hi. This sounds like a good opportunity. I imagine it will work much the same as renting a property. perhaps the "shares" wording should be changed. with shares there is a much more complicated and involved agreement to be serviced. I would explore option if i didnt already have a wood.
jillybean

Re: Woodland Rental

Postby katherineklinger » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks very much for the replies to the woodland rental idea. I agree that 'shares' are misleading, and the best and most straightforward way forward, is to offer a limited number of people the chance to rent the woods, in a way not dissimilar to renting a house or flat.It's important for me to find out if there is interest in such an idea, as I can't find anything similar to it when I google it...either indicating that there is no demand, or maybe, creating a new idea and possibility that will attract people. I know there is a farmer in Kent who has a four year waiting list for his 'rent-a-cherry-tree scheme', so there is certainly interest in that idea!
katherineklinger

Postby Family of 5 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi there
First of all. I think its a great idea and yes i very interested.
May we chat about this some more cause the idea is very appealing to me.

Just a few things first i would be intrested to know.

How much rent are you looking for.
And is it weekly/monthly or quarterly.

I assume payable by bank transfer.
Where is the woodland near to.
I understand about not advertising the location exactly
But an approx location would be nice to see how far from my
Home it is.
Does it have fishing lake/pond cause that may increase the distance we travel

Many thanks for your time.
Rich.

Distance i travel
Family of 5

Postby farmerdowling » Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 am

Hi,

Did this idea move on? I am wondering how it worked out as it is something I have thought about.
farmerdowling

Postby simoncheshire » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 am

Hi I would be very interested as in this can you give more details please its a great idea
Simon
simoncheshire

Next

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer