Small Woodland Owners' Group

wanted woods to rent for natural fitness classes

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

wanted woods to rent for natural fitness classes

Postby simmo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi, I am looking for a wood or part of, to rent for my natural outdoor fitness classes. I currently run these on a local common but to take the classes forward I need the fantastic and beautiful environment that a woods can bring, with all its natural obstacles. The classes are for adults, children and families and are proven very popular. I am in the tunbridge wells area in Kent. Thanks.
As suggested, I would be more than willing to assist in any work that may be required in your woods and could even put together small work parties. This sort of thing would compliment my classes very well. Free labour, can't be bad, in exchange for allowing me to use part or all of your woods to help people with their health and feel better about themselves. Of course, free classes for the owners! Please feel free to take a look at my facebok page at wellfit outdoor fitness or the website which is still under construction but where you can see the front of my latest flyer. www.wellfitoutdoorfitness.com
Last edited by simmo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simmo

Re: wanted woods to rent for natural fitness classes

Postby tracy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Simmo

You know what keeps us fit? Cutting down trees, fixing tracks, digging ponds! Maybe you could offer a little work party? It might help get you in to some woodlands!
Best wishes
Tracy
tracy

Postby simmo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Yes you are probably right. I am more than happy to get my hands dirty and would definitely be wiling to help out, I know the kids would love it. Thanks.
simmo

Postby docsquid » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Just a couple of comments. First of all, BTCV have a franchise called Green Gym, which provides workouts by doing woodland and conservation work. They want a lot of money for running it, and you may fall foul of their patent if you try to do similar, which might rule out Tracy's idea.

Second, you need to state your qualifications in fitness training on your web site and also REPS registration. I guess you have full qualifications to at lest Level 3 in fitness training, outdoors fitness and children's fitness, but your web site doesn't show this. Without these, and appropriate insurance, them you will have difficulty getting a site willing to let you run classes. I know. I am level 3/4 qualified in fitness, outdoor fitness, Nordic walking, cardiac rehabilitation, personal training, exercise to music, GP referral and it isn't straightforward. I'm sure you've thought it through, but be good to see on your web site.
docsquid

Postby simmo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My website is still under construction, getting there slowly. Also, I have other people for working for me so I will do everyone together when ready. I was really putting out the feelers to see if any owners would be interested in the idea, then if so I would obviously have gone into the finer details. In regards to fitness and qualifications I have a vast experience and many qualifications. However, I'm not in favour of people who go and pay for loads of courses and then pay for themselves to be part of reps, doesn't mean anything without experience. A lot of bad level 3 and 4 reps qualified instructors out there! In regards to the so called 'Green Gym', I think it is great that people are getting outdoors and doing some manual labour, any exercise is better than nothing. However, this is completely different to a properly structured fitness program. If you are not taught to bend, squat, or lift correctly you can injure yourself as you well know, and this is where the Green Gym falls short. Further more, I don't believe for one minute that they have the patent to outdoor fitness. Thanks for your thoughts and if you live in the Tunbridge Wells area and would like to take some classes for me give me a shout.
simmo

Postby docsquid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am

Simmo, sounds good, I hope you get someone in the Tunbridge Wells area with a wood.

But do be careful of BTCV. They were very aggressive when I suggested the outdoor fitness classes based around woodland work, and were quite happy to come after me if I infringed their patent. It was the woodland work they were worried about, rather than outdoor fitness per se, which they didn't mind, provided there was no conservation work or similar attached to it.

I agree, the training they offer to the leaders doesn't really sound like they will be properly qualified to show good technique in lifting, squatting etc. Certainly not up to the standard of even level 2 gym. I gave up and ran Nordic walking classes instead in our woods, which were very successful until I had to give up last year through illness. It has certainly put me off BTCV.
docsquid

Postby simmo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Docsquid, I am thinking about running a Nordic Walking class. It would complimet my other classes. Shame you can't teach anymore, hope the illness isn't too serious. Sorry to hear that. Great to see Oldclaypaws, who needs gyms, eh?
simmo

Postby Terry » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:32 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Well, woodland has certainly got me fitter ! Since buying mine in June (and being there at least once a day, doing a huge amount of 'tidying', brambling and clearing), not only do I have a great sense of well-being but have lost 10 lbs in weight !!

you're 10 lbs down, but how much has the bramble lost :lol:
Terry

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer