Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wanted: sporting rights to lease

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Wanted: sporting rights to lease

Postby Mart House » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:05 pm

On behalf of a shooting club I would like to lease the sporting rights to a good sized woodland.

All members are insured through the British Association of Shooting and Conservation and as such are dedicated to maintaining the environment for generations to come, no trace will be left behind and if any help is needed in managing the wood there are plenty of people happy to do so.

Ideally the wood will be in central England, but any location would be ok as we have members all over the British Isles.
Mart House

Re: Wanted: sporting rights to lease

Postby Mart House » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 am

Just giving this a little bump...

And to make clear that this is a small group of professional people, all experienced shots and not looking for driven or anything else that requires infrastructure.
Mart House

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 am

Mart House wrote:... I would like to lease the sporting rights to a good sized woodland ... no trace will be left behind ...

You're all such poor shots that you don't kill anything? If you shoot and kill something that lives or eats in a wood, you're leaving a trace!
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 am

in all honesty, I doubt you'll have much luck here, your really wanting to find someone who has bought their woodland purely as an investment, not the actually manage it, and therefore renting out the shooting rights would give them an added income, I doubt those types of owners would visit a forum like ours
so that leaves us, you'll find those split into two, shooters and non shooters, of course the non shooters will say no, but sadly, us shooters will also say no, as we may only shoot it occasionally, yet renting out the rights, means it could be shot every day of the week, we both know that sooner rather than later there would be nothing left to shoot, the rent would cease, and were left with a woodland devoid of anything that moves
Dexter's Shed

Postby Mart House » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Mart House

Postby splodger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 pm

hi mart house - if nobody has reponded to your request - it may indeed suggest that members on the SWOG forum are unlikely to be able to help you - but it may also be the case that a few (who don't visit that often) simply haven't read your post - so bumping it was a good idea

don't stop looking or posting - just because there have been a few negative replies - and please don't tar all small woodland owners with the same brush ;)
splodger

Postby Mart House » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks Splodger :)

I am interested in small woodland management anyway, so find this forum a fascinating place to browse. :geek:

It is hard to explain exactly how little impact my group would have, I guess I can only do that by answering challenges or by talking to someone who thinks they might like an extra income from their wood. There are farmers out there who lease huge woods out on the understanding that they never need to worry about vermin, but my lot are not into "blatting all day" and would be hunting for their own needs only. So a small wood where the owner might need some help from time to time seems perfect.

Thanks again, Mart
Mart House

Postby splodger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:59 pm

neither myself or my father carry a gun licence - so we have allowed a few shooters in our woods over the years - but only on the odd occasion and by prior arrangement - we don't have anybody visiting at the mo so would be happy to engage with a local shooter with the view to them paying us a visit from time to time - but we would not entertain a carte blanche on all shooting or allow on site shooting to be a regular occurance.

our wood is only small - doesn't get much in the way of "shootables" - so isn't really of interest to hardened shooters / stalkers - we do get the odd deer in though - (3 regulars at the mo) - and it would be handy to be able to give a local gun the shout - to say come and get him ;)

fee would be half the kill ;)
splodger

Postby Mart House » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:02 pm

splodger wrote:fee would be half the kill ;)

Cant say fairer :)
Mart House

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

you may be wise to put the add on the SWOG facebook page, as some that visit there, dont here
Dexter's Shed

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer