Small Woodland Owners' Group

Brighton University Degree Show Project

feel free to post unwanted/surplus or wanted items

Brighton University Degree Show Project

Postby jennyallinson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:24 am

HI EVERYONE!

I am currently studying for my final year of a BA in Fine Art Sculpture at the University of Brighton. On June 6th our degree show will open – the culmination of three years of hard work. Over the past months I have become increasingly interested in using trees within my practice. For my most recent work I hollowed out the top of a large section of silver birch, that I was lucky enough to be given, and fill it with water. For my final work I am very keen to do a similar thing however on a much larger scale.

I wanted to know what the protocol was when you fell trees, is there any way I would be able to buy the trunk of a whole tree, or a large section of one from you? To be able to work on a large scale would make the work so much more exciting!

Ideally this would be using silver birch, mainly due to its exquisite bark, however if you have any suggestions of something similar – reasonably straight and not too wide I would be more than grateful to hear them! I am aiming to use 2 sections of trunk that measure approximately 2 m, and have a diameter of somewhere between 20 and 40cm.

Preferably I would like to get the wood sometime within the next 2 weeks, so I have as much time as possible to work on it, and I will be able to organise collection.

If you or anyone you know is able to offer any help I hope to hear from you soon!

Jenny
jennyallinson

Re: Brighton University Degree Show Project

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 am

do you have the means to collect it? ie a 4x4 or flat bed truck?
I ask as I have a silver birch that was blown over in the gales recently, it's still leaning and not been cut up yet
Dexter's Shed

Postby ballibeg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm

You'll have more success with tree surgeons over at arbtalk.co.uk . They may well have kit to move large butts and trunks also.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 pm

I have a few Silver Birch down as well that would be suitable, you can have what you need gratis but again you would need to able to collect from nr Taunton.
20cm is 8" and 40cm is 16" so a decent estate car should be suitable.
Wendelspanswick

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello
Welcome to visit and see what are your needs and what we have

East Sussex TN22

The Barrowers
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to For sale, swap, wanted, share or give away