Small Woodland Owners' Group

Utility vehicle

feel free to post unwanted/surplus or wanted items

Utility vehicle

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:18 am

I have been looking into buying a secondhand 4x4 utility vehicle and would be interested in people's experiences of them. The Kawasaki Mule seems to be the most dominant one out there but I'd be interested in people's experience of using them and anything I should look out for when buying one. Making sure it's not stolen is certainly something I will look into.
Luckily I can store it at my house attached to the wood so it should be safe here.
They're not cheap even secondhand and so I want to make sure I get it right.
Thanks
Stevieb0y

Re: Utility vehicle

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:09 pm

If all you need it for it pootling round and carrying tools and logs, consider a garden tractor. Mine cost £150. The 4x4's have the advantage of speed and going over rough terrain, but for a level wood and light towing the tractors are great. You can also fit off road tyres for better grip. See all Dexters posts- he's the garden tractor addict, at last count he had three with lots of footage of them in use in his wood. For a similar budget to a 4x4 or less, you could also consider a compact tractor such as a Kubota, the prospect of a PTO, lots of torque, winches and front loaders makes them extremely versatile.

the beast.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks. My wood isn't on the flat which I should have mentioned. It's why the greater ground clearance and flat bed are the best option for us. I did look at the tractors.

Cheers
Stevieb0y

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:17 pm

most cutting decks are removable, fitting over sized wheels and tyres increases the ride height, and welding the rear diff will make it go anywhere, adding larger pulleys to the front will double the speed at the very least, check out maine mud mowers on face book
Dexter's Shed

Return to For sale, swap, wanted, share or give away