Small Woodland Owners' Group

Squirrel traps catching birds

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Squirrel traps catching birds

Postby woodlady » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

My Fenn Mk 4 traps have been regularly catching squirrels but sometimes a bird is caught instead. This is horrible when it happens. Any ideas on how on can I prevent this? I am trying a couple of humane traps with a view to using them instead but so far I haven't caught anything.
woodlady

Re: Squirrel traps catching birds

Postby Rod Taylor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 am

Are you using bait that attracts the birds ?? I have sited my traps on large fallen horizontal trees with 4 long screws facing up that fit into the corners of a plywood tunnel (hole both ends) to cover the trap, and a small flat area cut to sit the trap on. I have had a good success rate without using bait, as the squirrels use the trunks as runways. The chain on the trap is fixed to another screw on the trunk to prevent being carried off by scavengers.
Rod Taylor

Postby woodlady » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you for your reply, Rod. I'm using whole maize and peanut butter as recommended by the chap who sells the traps - however pheasants and magpies seem to like it too. Next time I go down, I think I will find a suitable fallen tree and try out your method. Thanks again.
woodlady

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm amazed that when these were sold they never came with instructions on their lawful use, it's important with any break back trap thats left in an area with non target species, for the trap to be used in conjunction with a artificial tunnel, be it wire mesh,wooden or made from items within the woodland, access routes to the trap are then kept small, ie squirrel size, and thus not allowing pheasants or magpies entry
Dexter's Shed

Postby woodlady » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Dexter's Shed
Maybe if you buy the trap mechanism only they do come with some instructions for use - I wouldn't know. However, the fenn traps I have came already fitted inside a metal tunnel which I understood was supposed to restrict non target catches. I have also in fact added a 6 inch piece of plastic pipe to the entrance to make the tunnel longer - maybe I have to make the pipe longer.
woodlady

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:29 pm

in that case, I would certainly get back to the supplier/manufacturer and let them know of the design failure, they have to comply with uk standards, sounds like a defect to me
Dexter's Shed

Return to Wildlife