Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hornets

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Hornets

Postby Zenith » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Last night I went moth trapping in our wood for the first time. Unfortunately I had to finish early because the trap was full of hornets. I've never had hornets in my trap before, despite trapping in the Wyre Forest and other local woods, and it was most unpleasant, especially as several came to investigate me.

Does anybody have any experience with hornets in woodlands and know if this is likely to be a seasonal occurrence, or are they always likely to be there? We only have a track of about 200m, but perhaps it may be worthwhile changing my trap location next time in case I was near a nest. I swear they were as big as crows!
Zenith

Re: Hornets

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:08 pm

being a beekeeper and a pest controller, I've heard reports for the last month about hornets coming over here, once the colder weather hits they should be gone, fingers crossed they don't appear next year
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zenith » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:58 am

I hope not. I felt such a wimp with them buzzing around me. I reckon I'll wear some bee keepers'' protective clothes next year. :D
Zenith

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:29 am

I once had one fly into my pottery and was pretty freaked. Apart from the size, the thing I remember most is the deep 'buzz', far louder than anything else airborn. They are in effect giant wasps. Treat them with great respect and avoid. If you get stung, its very painful and can even be fatal if several gang up and have a go at you at once, they sting multiple times and its more toxic than a wasp sting. They feed on oak sap, other insects and fruit but will go dormant soon.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:08 am

burning the herb "sage" on your campfire is a natural insect repellent, not sure if it works on wasps/hornets, but worth a try

to keep bees away from a bbq, a large cow/sheep salt lick can be placed around 20yds away, people tend to believe they (and wasps) are after the sugary drinks, they're not, they want salt from sweat etc

those are the nice ways, if you want pure killing power

take an empty cola type bottle, remove the cap and cut the top third from bottle, turn that upside down (looks like a funnel) push back into the bottom of bottle, seal edges with gaffa tape, (bright coloured if poss) couple of holes for some string, pour sugar water or old fizzy drink into your newly made catcher, and hang from trees/bushes near your camp area, of course in a woodland area you'll need more than one bottle catcher
Dexter's Shed

Postby Andy M » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am

Nice idea, but if they want sweat, why use sugar as the bait?
Andy M

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Andy M wrote:Nice idea, but if they want sweat, why use sugar as the bait?

because they are attracted to sweet items, therefore its cheap, they don't want sweat, who would?? they want salt, but salt does not smell, insects have better sense of smell than dogs, cattle salts blocks smell,and the salt is in its solid form, which insects can feed from, but dissolve some salt in a container, and its just that DISSOLVED
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:30 pm

.......Or you could see insects as having as much right to life and use in a woodland as part of the ecology as any other creature, and leave them alone.

Rather than just human playgrounds, woods are also semi-natural habitats to thousands of other creatures and its better to appreciate them, observe them, learn about and treat them with respect, rather than think we have a right to exterminate anything that proves slightly annoying.

If the human race is to survive, it needs to protect the global eco system that we ourselves depend on and fit in it sustainably, as a part of it, not ruthless insensitive exploiters of it. :roll:
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:38 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:.......Or you could see insects as having as much right to life and use in a woodland as part of the ecology as any other creature,:roll:

which is my way too, hence burning sage to keep them at bay from the camp area, being a full time pestie I've yet to draw on my super human powers/or a van loaded with poisons and pesticides in our woods,
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Shucks, you failed to respond to my bait, oh exterminator of the Rat Nation. There's me thinking you were going to defend your position as 'leisure serial killer of innocent wasps'.

I raised the eyebrow of my woodland consultant quizzically when he said "squirrels should be got rid of, they do huge damage to forests" and I replied "They probably say the same about us, I think the human race has a worse track record in the Amazon".

Squirrel damage;
squirrel_damage_01.jpg

Human damage;
deforestation-causes-HI_104236.jpg
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to Wildlife