Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hornets

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Re: Hornets

Postby Steve Medlock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Hornets built a nest in the corner of my woodland shelter this year. They haven't bothered me and I haven't bothered them although they were interested in my Coleman lamp. I do have a healthy respect for them though and don't interfere with their nest!

Steve
Steve Medlock

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 pm

don't get me started on squizzers OCP :lol:

my squirrel control so far has been 2 males,2 females, none for the last 2 weeks, and no further damage to bird feeders, I'm sure within a few weeks, more will move into this empty territory , but I'll be waiting :twisted:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Landpikey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm

[quote="Dexter's Shed"]being a beekeeper and a pest controller

Why don't you put a small salt lick on your squirrel trap (the one with the metal backing for air pellets) and try to shoot them from a distance to show us how good you are with those rifles?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Landpikey

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Landpikey wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:being a beekeeper and a pest controller

Why don't you put a small salt lick on your squirrel trap (the one with the metal backing for air pellets) and try to shoot them from a distance to show us how good you are with those rifles?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In all honesty, it's because I have yet to spend a day there,on my own to be able to be quite
we tend to turn up as a family with jobs to do in mind, or to meet up with friends for work party camp overs, and of course noisey people and hunting/shooting don't mix
I have been meaning for the last 6 weeks to set up a decoy to shoot some crows, do you think I've done it yet, have I heck, every visit something else takes priority
plus of course, as of now, the bird feeders have been left alone, the kanias have been empty, I'm quite happy to leave them alone for now, anyway, come the cold season I'll be working hard in the woods, not sitting around this

http://youtu.be/3UHb30FZw9k
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd hope this is a jest in poor taste. If you must shoot squirrels, it should be done as cleanly and humanly as possible to minimise any distress or the possibility of non-lethal injuries. If you can't shoot cleanly to kill instantly every time(an accurate head shot), don't. Shooting should be a necessity, not some sick game to see whether or not you can hit it. :(
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:I have been meaning for the last 6 weeks to set up a decoy to shoot some crows

Why?
SimonFisher

Postby Compo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:03 pm

We suffer a certain amount of squirrel damage at one of our sites, to the Maples in the main, but we don't shoot them. what would be the point? Unless control is over a wide area you're going to get short term relief at best. And if we did that we would have to shoot the deer as well (and perhaps the odd rambler who helps themselves to our wildflowers!) We have a healthy population of corvids - Crows, Jays and Magpies and they are most welcome. Much misunderstood and unfairly persecuted. There is no shortage of songbirds as might be predicted by popular myths regarding the voracity of Magpies.If I shoot the crows should I also shoot the Woodpeckers,who love nothing better than chipping baby Tits from their nest holes? I'm perfectly happy to share late Summer and Autumn with any number of wasps, they're an important part of the food web. The only animal we don't tolerate is the Mink - we like our ground nesting birds and Kingfishers too much.

I've worked in Pest Control. I've worked in agriculture. And I've killed far too many things in my time without sufficient reason. We are omly part owners of our woods, surely we should be giving a bit back to the wildlife.
Compo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Compo wrote:We suffer a certain amount of squirrel damage at one of our sites, to the Maples in the main, but we don't shoot them. what would be the point? Unless control is over a wide area you're going to get short term relief at best. And if we did that we would have to shoot the deer as well (and perhaps the odd rambler who helps themselves to our wildflowers!) We have a healthy population of corvids - Crows, Jays and Magpies and they are most welcome. Much misunderstood and unfairly persecuted. There is no shortage of songbirds as might be predicted by popular myths regarding the voracity of Magpies.If I shoot the crows should I also shoot the Woodpeckers,who love nothing better than chipping baby Tits from their nest holes? I'm perfectly happy to share late Summer and Autumn with any number of wasps, they're an important part of the food web. The only animal we don't tolerate is the Mink - we like our ground nesting birds and Kingfishers too much.

I've worked in Pest Control. I've worked in agriculture. And I've killed far too many things in my time without sufficient reason. We are omly part owners of our woods, surely we should be giving a bit back to the wildlife.

we don't seem to be able to do multiquotes on this forum, otherwise I would have included simons post saying "why"

you make some very good points in your post above, but they are from YOUR observations, and therefore are true to YOU, and your belief that the corvids should be left alone, giving back to nature etc, oh but the mink are on the hit list, so my shooting of corvids because of my observations is by your own words, perfectly ok,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Patandsam » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm

We love our squirrels, they are very special to us and we feed them every day so they have become very tame. Anyway, aren't they protected?

Killing things for the sake of it is truly disgusting, everything has a right to exist. Except mink maybe, and those other serial killers, mankind.
Patandsam

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:I have been meaning for the last 6 weeks to set up a decoy to shoot some crows

SimonFisher wrote:Why?

Dexter's Shed wrote:we don't seem to be able to do multiquotes on this forum, otherwise I would have included simons post saying "why"

We ? ;-)
SimonFisher

PreviousNext

Return to Wildlife