Small Woodland Owners' Group

Signs of a hard winter?

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Signs of a hard winter?

Postby Whatisheatnow » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:45 am

What do forum members think of the weather prospects for this winter? Here in Ireland we have the most plentiful supply of berries, haws, sloes, crab apples, apples, acorns, beech and ash mast, etc. that I've seen in my 50 years of looking at these things. There is a big oak tree beside my house which had a huge crop of acorns. Last week the crows and jackdaws moved in and stripped and carried away the whole lot in two days. A friend of mine noticed the same thing on an oak he has. It was a sort of frenzy. Maybe they often do this but I never noticed it. Also yesterday I saw a few wild geese (white fronted they looked from a distance) in a place I never saw them before, though my father told me they used to come there before my time. I am therefore sticking my neck out and predicting a severe winter, at the risk of looking very foolish next spring. Is anyone else willing to make a prediction? If Rich is willing to act as adjudicator I am willing to sponsor a wooly cap for the best long range forecast, based on signs from nature.
Whatisheatnow

Re: Signs of a hard winter?

Postby splodger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:23 am

i do have a similar view to you whatisheatnow.

many of the trees that have been overladen with nuts and berries have been stripped - and yesterday i saw a large number of redwings :?

i have a horrible feeling that we are in for a rough few months - starting this weekend / next week - by all accounts - and i don't think that will be the last of the strong winds either. looking further ahead, in my neck of the woods we don't see much in the way of snow - a few days of cover and it usually goes - but i would not be surprised to see it last a bit longer, or indeed fall a bit earlier this year - so i am preparing for a cold, wet and windy one - as pay back for a most pleasant summer :?
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

splodger wrote:

i have a horrible feeling that we are in for a rough few months - starting this weekend / next week -

I'll send in an on the spot weather report, as we are camping at our woods next weekend, come rain or shine, wind or snow :o
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello Hope Christmas / New Year is kind to us as it was last year

Spent it all in the wood Full Xmas Dinner on 2 Dutch ovens Wet but wonderful
No TV No Fuss. just us
B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Compo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Boxing Day we'll be in Derbyshire whatever the weather - Turkey curry on a wood fire. Done this for the last twenty years or so. Boxing Day is a traditional shooting day and some of that fraternity decided to test their new toys on our ducks so since then we have made sure that we're about. Don't have a problem with shooting but not on our land and not if they don't know what they're doing. We're due a cold one but it's all grist to the mill - nothing like a clear sky and hard ground for tree work.
Compo

Return to Wildlife