Small Woodland Owners' Group

size for a fox den and entrance pipe

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

size for a fox den and entrance pipe

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 am

I'm about to start building a raised deck for a shed at the end of the garden and would like to build a fox den in the earth underneath it.

My thinking so far is: -

A rectangular deck six feet by ten feet will be supported by six posts set into the ground and the den excavated in the middle before being capped by paving slabs and covered with earth. A piece of drainage pipe will lead from the den to an entry/exit point set at the side or behind the shed.

Any suggestions on a minimum size for the den, especially the height/clearance, and the diameter of the entrance/exit pipe?
SimonFisher

Re: size for a fox den and entrance pipe

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am

On a different note, my m-in-law has a large foxes den under her shed and they are a terrible nuisance with mess, dean birds and terrified cat. They obviously thrive in the urban environment - the male is huge!! How do we discourage them? Getting rid of the current family will only leave a space for more to move in.

If only I could believe that if they only lived in towns then I would not regulaerly lose my chickens to rural foxes. They waste more food than Tesco - usually only take away 10-15% of the biomass of their killings.
Andy M

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

being a pest controller, I have to say I would not want to work in, or store items in a shed, knowing there's foxes underneath, apart from the smell, I'd be worried about possible "mange" not forgetting the amount of fleas that will be hopping about looking for dinner, but it's each to their own I suppose, I can see that some might want to sit and view fox cubs playing in the garden just before dusk, then getting up in the morning to remove all the sticky scat from the grass before anyone treads in it.
and of course, you have no control on what mammal makes the area home, maybe a family of rats if your lucky, especially with chickens close by? or badgers? that would be quite funny, as you then wouldn't be allowed in your own shed

note to andy m;

diesel soaked rags pushed under the shed,into the hole etc will discourage the foxes from living there,and if you keep in up once they have gone, will stop others from moving in, another good tip is for you to "pee" in as many places around the area, in affect, marking your territory
Dexter's Shed

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks, I will get my mother-in-law to start the peeing!
Andy M

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Views on the the desirability or otherwise of having foxes under the shed isn't what I was seeking, nor was my question about how to deter foxes. Please keep to the subject of my original post. If you wish to discuss other aspects of fox activity, then please start another topic.

For the record, we've had foxes under another shed and in the garden for many years without problem. We enjoy the opportunity to share our space with them and to observe them.
SimonFisher

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:56 pm

So, have posted in the lounge area.

Does this mean that when people ask for info on products that others consider dangerous (using oriental chainsaws?) that no-one should advise them against doing it, but just tell them where to get them?
Andy M

Postby splodger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm

you might find some info here simon http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/
splodger

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Andy M wrote:So, have posted in the lounge area.

Does this mean that when people ask for info on products that others consider dangerous (using oriental chainsaws?) that no-one should advise them against doing it, but just tell them where to get them?

Not necessarily. In this case as original poster, I'd like the topic to stay on subject - that's all!
SimonFisher

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:39 pm

I forgot about the original poster's rights - off to re-read "rules and Etiquette".

Meanwhile, I'm playing a reverse double hopscotch and bingo - Mornington Crescent!
Andy M

Return to Wildlife