Small Woodland Owners' Group

Brushcutters

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Brushcutters

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm

oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 pm

looks an interesting unit, ordered one via flea bay as it's cheaper postage, I'll let you know if I like it :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:49 am

well the new head arrived today paws, and have to say I'm impressed with the build quality, cant wait to get over the woods now to try it out :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Look forward to your strimming report Dexter, have fun. If its good, makes you wonder why they ever bothered only having two bits of line on a 'standard' strimmer head, its seems a no brainer that more line will last longer and be more effective.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 pm

and the best bit, with the strimmer head sitting on the table, the mrs does leather repairs on biker's leathers, she had just done a small repair on a friends jacket, prob's £10 at most, and told him to forget it, he then asked me about the woods and the strimmer head, turns out, he works for the environmental agency, in the stores dept, so I have a large roll of strimmer line, and a new 14" husky bar and chain coming my way, as they say, it's not what you know, but who you know :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 pm

ok, so we fitted and tested the strimmer head that paw's recommended,
I feel there's good and bad points, I'll list them here, but you'll also see I mention them on the video review

pro's

great for cutting bramble or other big bushy stuff, cuts it up into small pieces

con's
a heavy unit compaired to others
it needs to be run on full throttle, where as my old one can be "feathered" on the throttle,
my one had a quite large saucer type base, this could be rested on the ground, less arm ache, but would also then cut grass nice and low
paw's one is tall and cylinder shaped, if you try resting it on floor on full throttle, it tends to tip sideways, and under full throttle drags you along, scraping mud, you'll see at end of video

summary, I'll keep and use both, for different jobs
paws=bramble
mine=grass

http://youtu.be/oOwXWRM0O38
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:50 am

Was that head recommended by OCP or was he merely pointing out its availability in response to another post about a multi-line strimmer head?

The mulching head that OCP purchased with his brushcutter and reviewed was this one - http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/strimmer-brushcutter-accessori/oregon-brushcutter-blades/showitem-KP-FGP014256.aspx - yes?
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am

Was that head recommended by OCP or was he merely pointing out its availability

The clue was in my comment,
If its good
, indeed Simon is correct as usual, I'd just spotted it and was pointing out its availability, for those who like their whirly bits made of plastic.

Personally, I'm a full throttle bendy metal mulching man, the Portek head is not 'by appointment to His Illustrious Pawfulness'. Glad you had fun and found it useful though Dexter, I expect my agent will be contacting you in due course for the royalties for using my name to promote your YouTube 'Vid. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 am

SimonFisher wrote:Was that head recommended by OCP or was he merely pointing out its availability in response to another post about a multi-line strimmer head?

The mulching head that OCP purchased with his brushcutter and reviewed was this one - http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/strimmer-brushcutter-accessori/oregon-brushcutter-blades/showitem-KP-FGP014256.aspx - yes?

oh bloody hell, I've got two of those already :lol:
have to say, this one beats those for mass destruction
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Paws - you said you paid about £384 from Willets. Did that include VAT and shipping. I reckon they are going for about £416 all together now. Another site is World of Power selling at £403 inc VAT & free shipping. How did you negotiate yours down and by how much please?
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance