Small Woodland Owners' Group

wildlife cameras

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: wildlife cameras

Postby smojo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:19 am

What a pity it's turning out to disappoint. I was intending getting one for Christmas but not sure now. Sounds like it might be a fake in which case it's not a fair comparison/review. I'd be interested to see some vids you've taken with it. . Thinking about what Paws said about buying from proper dealer - the price difference is significant to tempt people to go the cheaper route but in this case, it seems false economy. If it makes you want to upgrade to a better one (or for me to look for a higher spec one at higher price) then there is no saving. Would love to see comparisons of results from genuine and (apparently) fake. The jury is still out I think.

If they do not arrange collection you get to keep the goods and eBay will refund you the purchase price.

It would be good to see if there's some way of 100% identifying if it is fake and on the basis of EBay's t&cs it would be worth pursuing.
smojo

Postby boxerman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks, Paws - if my video was anything like that I'd be quite happy.

Fairly sure it's not as simple as user error - the instructions are pretty simple and it'd be difficult to go far wrong. Yes, it was a £76 gamble and that's fine and I'm reasonably happy to accept that frustrating as it may be. I guess I figured the gamble was worthwhile as I was armed with the knowledge of how to spot a fake and it would then be a simple matter to report to e-bay as such and get a refund, however, all of the visual signs are that it's genuine and my suspicion is that the fakers have upped their game and I have one of a new generation of fakes - there are just too many little niggles for it to just be a Friday afternoon job..

I could still attempt to return it but suspect that it would be far more trouble than it's worth so may well end up just writing it off. It was listed as a UK seller but all of the emails originated in China. Once I decide what to do (going to give it till the weekend as it's already set up at the badger sett) and then make a decision. Either way I'm thinking I'll end up buy a 6210 as it has HD Video and much higher resolution for only about another £30 - if I do then it will be from Pakatak to remove any doubts.

If I eventually manage to get so vid of the badgers I will post them for comparison - need to re-site the camera first tho as i think sun shining through the trees was responsible for many of the triggers.

If I do end up just writing it off I will attempt to find ways to ID as either a fake or genuine for the benefit of all. And, yes, you're right Smojo, it's not fair to rely on what I'm reporting here because I have serious doubts about its origin. It could be a rubbish genuine model or it could be a cosmetically improved fake.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 am

is there a big difference in picture quality etc that this make/brand of camera has over the swan/maplin one, both of mine cost around £60 each, Im happy with results, and at that price I'm not too worried about leaving them strapped to trees for a week, those of you that own the £100 plus ones, or those thinking of purchasing, do you/will you feel the same in leaving a more expensive item out alone
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:19 am

Pakatak certainly seem to know what they are doing. They are the main Acorn importers and have been trading for 14 years. They sell hundreds a month and stock all the variants. They reckon they've had 20,000 customers. They are cheaper than most other UK distributors. They offer a full no quibble money back guarantee if not 100% happy. The 5210a is a good little camera if you get a working good one, and apparently only a tiny % go faulty. Acorn is by the way, a 100% Chinese company, they are not European owned, but then if they can put satellites in space I guess they can build a trail camera, we shouldn't entirely dismiss their technology and this reliable Dell laptop wot I'm typing on was made there- its a nice bit of kit.

Its all very well of Ebay to offer a refund if the goods arrive faulty, but what if they go wrong after a few weeks or months, and the seller doesnt respond? Buy from an established high street store (the few that are left) or a company with a proper website and contact details, the chances are they aren't 'fly' and will want to maintain their reputation and customers- they'd repair or replace the item- I think consumer electrical items should have a one year warranty by law under the Sale of Goods act . With Ebay, you've no follow up and depend entirely on the sellers goodwill- its a legal loophole which can be abused. How do you know you're not getting some reject or refurbished item? I'll bet half the worlds binned faulty stuff ends up described as new on fleabay. 'Caveat Emptor'.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:26 pm

those of you that own the £100 plus ones, or those thinking of purchasing, do you/will you feel the same in leaving a more expensive item out alone

Good point. I was talking to one of my woodland neighbours and he had his camera nicked. His plot is on the edge of the woods and next to a field where opportunists have driven up the farmers track and spotted it along with a bench and nicked them both. I think it might have had some sort of light that gave it away. Ironically, the perpetrators would have been caught on camera but didn't hand themselves in :D He said it was mounted on a monopod stuck in the ground. Weirdly, they had unscrewed it from the mount and left that in the ground.

Another guy said he had hidden his inside an bird nest box with the lens pointing out of the hole but don't know how the sensors would work like that. Good idea that might be able to be modified.
smojo

Postby boxerman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Hmm..... things are looking up a little with this cam.... I installed a different SD a couple of days ago and video quality has marginally improved (no idea why as both are the right spec and the original was producing superb quality in the GoPro). By all accounts, video on this model isn't it's best feature anyway. The last couple of nights got me 8 or 9 night triggers BUT not once did the infra red lighting work despite fitting new batteries - - again this appears to be a classic sign of battery voltage issues. So far I've used 2 sets of new duracells but I see that Ron (smojo's link) reckons they lose volts too quickly so tomorrow I'll buy a different make of battery and give it another chance to give me some night shots.

Out of the 8 or 9 night shots that I got, on 3 I could just make out Mr Fox strolling across the lawn but no sign of Badgers. I know Mr Fox is a regular 'cos his track's been there for years.. I just hope he hasn't taken over the sett..

This morning, before I saw the improved video I did decide to bite the bullet tho and ordered a 6210MC from Pakatak - had a mail back within an hour (impressive) apologising that they were out of stock and next delivery was expected in about 10 days so did I want to cancel? Impressed by the response I decided to stick with them and wait so, in a couple of weeks or so, I may have the opportunity to compare the two - hell, a man's gotta have some toys and as I haven't yet got a wood to play in.....
Phil

boxerman

Postby smojo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:48 am

One of the main reasons I considered the cheaper model was how cheap you could get one. If it turns out those cheapos are all fakes and not worth buying and I have to consider the higher spec model to bet something worth having, then it might be a case of "back to the drawing board" and see what else is out there for that price. Looking forward to hearing about the new model when you get it.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:46 am

boxerman wrote: So far I've used 2 sets of new duracells but I see that Ron (smojo's link) reckons they lose volts too quickly

my maplin ones have had Duracell's in them for a good 6 months and are still going strong, I'd say it's the camera not the batteries
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Agreed. I think by the sound of it you got a 'lemon'. The batteries should last weeks, I've had one set of Duracells in mine for a couple of weeks now and have taken 75 video clips and its still going strong and out every day. If you've not left feedback (or even if you have), I'd ask the seller for a refund and say you want to return it as its defective and never worked correctly- nothing to lose from trying.

In the meantime its possible to get a taste of wildlife before you have a wood of your own by videoing the badgers with another camera, nice idea. You can prepare for woodland ownership in the meantime by building up your knowledge; visiting public woods, buying a few books and chipping in your penny's worth on the forum. If its meant to be, it'll happen. :)
oldclaypaws

Postby boxerman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Believe me, Paws, I'm learning a lot in various ways and a wood will happen in a year or two - the dream has been there for 50 years and it ain't going to go away. I've wanted to video this Sett ever since the badgers moved in 15 or so years ago but it just never occurred to me that a camera could be bought for this kind of money...

Can't wait for the new 6210 to arrive so I can, hopefully, get some decent video but mean I'm going to persevere with this one for a few more days and, no, I deliberately haven't yet left feedback. Just got back from changing the SD - nothing recorded and new Duracells fitted 2 days ago are showing 50% power....... :shock: - that would certainly be enough to screw the electronics. Interestingly tho, I just installed a new set of Energisers (got to be worth trying) and going through the menu again I notice I suddenly have the still + video option - definitely wasn't there before 'cos I specifically checked more than once and photos are now showing software version and Ltl acorn as the manufacturers name - software is shown as only a couple of numbers away from current so I'm really now beginning to wonder.. Is it possible that the Duracells, for whatever reason, could be the cause of all the faults?? I don't know but tomorrow may tell if I get some good shots...
Phil

boxerman

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance