Small Woodland Owners' Group

Log Arch or similar for small ATV

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Log Arch or similar for small ATV

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:01 am

I was really replying to the original posters question.

"Any one with experience of these bits of kit at work or indeed any other suggestions of equipment that will handle the odd bits that we would not want to bring in a tractor and trailer into our woods for?"

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I'd ask the OP what use did they have in mind for the pieces they want to bring out? It might be with a bit of lateral thinking, you may be able to process them where they are and bring out the smaller end product manually. If for example you want to plank them, you could get an Alaskan mill which is easily portable, plank them where the log sits, and walk out with the planks.....
oldclaypaws

Postby KNOT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner, i have just reset my notifications on the control panel.

Up till now most of our small scale extraction has been Conifer (storm damage) that we have sold for chip when we had a full load at roadside.
As much as i would love to have an Alaskan mill to take into our wood i'm not sure we have sufficient Saw Grade timber to warrant the investment.
Skidding out with a tractor is also something we have discussed, again we would need to pay a farmer as we don't have such a machine of our own.
We did trial extraction with a horse a few weeks ago, this was very much an experiment as the horse had not been used for such work previously, it worked quite well, there might be an option to get the guy back in the future.
Another consideration is that some of our woods run down to a small stream which has provided problematic in the past with a large Forwarder getting stuck on the soft ground, a Log Arch might enable us to deal with this area while minimising damage in the woods?

Knot
Knot
Retired and living my dream:
All things wood.
KNOT

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance