Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello - Swap Help for help.

A place to introduce yourself to your woodland neighbours exchange ideas and information, pool resources and report incidences.

Re: Hello - Swap Help for help.

Postby ballibeg » Mon May 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Let's not forget this a small woodland forum and we're all learning as we go.

Precision in firearms and deer legislation is paramount.

Any reader should of course satisfy themselves from various sources of the relevant law and I'm glad our discussion will prompt them to do so.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue May 20, 2014 1:12 am

ballibeg wrote:No.

Lots of your posts on shooting are off the mark particularly with regard to Scotland. The shooting of females out of season is not on the general license. An application has to be made. You need to show you have tried other control methods such fencing. If you have exhausted all other methods a license may be granted for control of females but it will be only for someone on the fit and competent register of stalkers
SNH hold.

hold your horses here please, can you show me any posts on here that I have made where I say that females SHOULD BE shot out of season :evil:
I have mealy pointed out that as a woodland owner, there is no closed season, that's all
please could you also show me any "off the mark" shooting posts
I am very offended by your post
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue May 20, 2014 11:47 am

As understand it, the law is that in order to shoot deer in your own woodland during closed season, it requires you to apply for a license to do so, inform the police, and prove that it is absolutely necessary and no other alternatives exist such as shooting during open season or fencing. It would seem to amount to so many hoops to jump through that it is in effect still a closed season, apart from exceptional circumstances such as public safety being in danger (Eg deer on a major highway) or heritage areas at risk (Chomping on your SSSI or herb paris?).

I think this is all pretty academic, nobody here is going to shoot them out of season and don't think anyone should be challenged to pistols at dawn over minor different interpretation of semantics or very technical aspects of legality in differing countries, so lets all be civil to each other, people, please. :D

For what its worth, here's the blurb I stumbled upon, assuming its not been ammended since (?) Maybe since the law has been loosened due to the deer problem being more out of control ?

The bigger issue is perhaps not what any of us good guys may or may not do, but what the 'dogmen' do illegally, perhaps with no consideration of animal welfare, owners or the law. :?

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/91.pdf
oldclaypaws

Postby ballibeg » Tue May 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote: have mealy pointed out that as a woodland owner, there is no closed season, that's all

For example the statement 'as a woodland owner, there is no closed season' is incorrect.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue May 20, 2014 2:37 pm

ballibeg wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote: have mealy pointed out that as a woodland owner, there is no closed season, that's all

For example the statement 'as a woodland owner, there is no closed season' is incorrect.

Dave

taken from ocp's link

Section 7 of the Deer Act
On any cultivated land, pasture or enclosed
woodland, deer may be shot during the close season
and a shotgun can be used in certain circumstances
[see below] in order to prevent damage. This action
may be taken by the occupier of the land in person
and with his written permission by:
Any member of the occupier’s household
normally resident on the land;
Any person in ordinary service of the occupier
of the land;
Any person having the right to take or kill deer
on the land;
Any person acting with written authority of a
person having that right.
Subject to that person having:
Reasonable grounds for believing that deer of
the same species were causing or had caused

whatever way you look at it, and whatever hoops need jumping through, section 7 is to allow in certain circumstances the shooting of deer in the closed season, therefore, in layman's term, there is no closed season
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 pm

I wish you two would just agree to differ and let it rest, what's to be gained by petty squabbling. You're both right, depending which way you look at it. Amen. At this rate with you both being ruthless serial killers of the animal kingdom, Karma dictates you're both gonna come back as Deer in your next few lives- in the open season. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby ballibeg » Tue May 20, 2014 3:32 pm

I've been very clear that Dexter's statements are not correct in Scotland. It is important that people are aware off the different legislation applicable across the UK.

There are many courses Dexter could take if he's interested in stalking and the relevant legislation that covers it.

Forums are at their worst in situations such as these but incorrect firearms advice has to be challenged. Maybe the mods should consider the pros and cons of firearm threads in the future.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue May 20, 2014 4:24 pm

although I've never mentioned Scotland, I live in England, our woods are in England, and the op was asking for woods around london, lets as ocp say's leave it there, as you keep changing the goal posts
Dexter's Shed

Previous

Return to Meet Your Woodland Neighbour