Small Woodland Owners' Group

Intro from bowji-john

A place to introduce yourself to your woodland neighbours exchange ideas and information, pool resources and report incidences.

Intro from bowji-john

Postby bowji-john » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 am

Hello folks

Just joined.

I own a small farm in Cornwall, 3 or 4 acres of which is woodland (marshy in patches) with a small river running through it. 3 years ago I set up a bush craft / primitive tools centre. As it has grown I'm constantly looking for resources like hazel and birch to bring on site. I can no longer take from our woodland for fear of denuding and spoiling the site.

I'm looking for anyone who would be in a position to supply me with consumables on an occasional or regular basis.

We don't use a great deal - fire wood is relatively easy to source but I do need an 'astra van' full (technical term of measurement) of a range of woods - perhaps hazel / birch / ash / sycamore every 2 months or so.

Willing to pay of course - and willing to travel (though perhaps not to Scotland)

Also...

Am looking for some longer poles (5m and 3.5 m of ash?) to build two bodger's hovels to house a couple of shaving horses and pole lathes

I do have one contact - Malvern coppicing - indeed it was via Phil's website that I actually found you guys.

Thanks all

John
bowji-john

Re: Intro from bowji-john

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 am

Can you specify the size of Hazel you need.
oldclaypaws

Postby bowji-john » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:45 am

Hi there

Anything from 4 - 5 ft long and thick as your thumb to longer lengths - 4 or 5 inches in the thickness

Anything in between.

Thicker stuff good for spoon making and shelter building. Thinner stuff good for weaving, making pot holders etc

Hope that helps

J
bowji-john

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:59 am

Unfortunately the thick as your thumb and 4 or 5 feet long Hazel are very much in demand for hurdle making, thatching and walking sticks. I was selling them last year to a walking stick company for £1.25 to £2 each, depending on shape (a premium for thumbsticks with a fork at the top). There's not much Hazel Coppice left in the SouthWest, I'm lucky to have a nice Hazel understorey. Once I've got more light in it'll produce a valuable annual resource which I'm told can yield more income than growing crops on agricultural land.

Thicker Hazel of say 2 to 4" plus is great Firewood, so you are after a valuable (and limited) resource. I've noted you need some, although at the moment I'm rather preoccupied with other woodland work.

It may be you want stuff less precise than Mr Walking Sticks (he'll reject anything with a slight flaw), so if you PM me we can talk more about spec, cost, etc and see if there's grounds for trying to sort you.
oldclaypaws

Postby bowji-john » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 am

Hi again Oldclaypaws

Thanks for the response

Yes I know that it is in great demand - still if you are close and can help out I would be interested

J
bowji-john

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:30 am

PM'ed you, check your email. Situation negotiable. I certainly have a few bits overdue thinning. :D
oldclaypaws

Return to Meet Your Woodland Neighbour