Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello all

A place to introduce yourself to your woodland neighbours exchange ideas and information, pool resources and report incidences.

Hello all

Postby bodger » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi, this is an intro and a request. First about me, I am 71 still fit & active, I am a lover of all things nature especially in natures cathedrals, ( woodland), spent my life on country pursuits, since boyhood. I would describe myself as responsible and treat people respectfully, I gained the nickname bodger due to my leaning to problem solving on a basic approach ! :shock: . That's me dusted, now to my request. I moved to Eastleigh Hampshire about 2 yrs ago and have desperately been trying to find anyone,( farmer, privately owned), that would consider allowing me to camp in their woods, in return I offer to do some clearing burning etc. I lived in Linc's before moving here whilst there I had permission on a family conglomerate of 4 farms, my agreement with them was mainly vermin control rabbits etc. I would very much appreciate any response within a reasonable distance, thank you for reading my plea. bodger
bodger

Re: Hello all

Postby bodger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:16 am

And I hoped that 2016 would be my year, I guess I'll just sit at home and fantasies on what could have been :( .[quoteThe ox is slow,but the earth is patient
bodger

Postby boxerman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Don't give up, Bodger. For various reasons many folk don't visit here often and tend to use Facebook far more but they do drop in occasionally.

I suspect the biggest problems you'll face are that most folk here are capable of doing any needed pest control themselves and, as all have saved hard to buy their little piece of heaven that they protect them carefully. Legal limits to overnight stays (28 days) also mean that camping etc is severely restricted so those that stay over themselves are unlikely to let others use up their own options to stay.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby bodger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you for your reassurance, I was thinking people may consider me to aged to enjoy life!, I've spent 2 yrs trying to find somewhere to enjoy woodland & nature I guess people are worried about what they'll involve themselves in with strangers. Still I live in hope. By the way I'm not really after pest control, just helping out in the woods. :roll: [quote] The ox is slow but the earth is patient
bodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:27 pm

We are woodland owners who have primarily bought woods for ourselves, family and friends to enjoy. Allowing others into our woods unaccompanied might restrict what we can do there ourselves and potentially opens up various issues, which is why regular similar requests appear to have gone unanswered or been met with a degree of scepticism.

There are woodland owners who have thought this through and are open to it and welcoming with the necessary insurance, parking, planning permissions, etc. and they can be found listed under woodland or forest campsites. Some of the sites listed seem pleasant quiet ancient woods.

Eg http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/

This site also carries useful info and sites available in England, as well as guidelines about the less regulated scene in Scotland and Ireland.

https://www.pitchup.com/wild-camping/
oldclaypaws

Postby bodger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks for your insight, still hopeful as I am offering labour in exchange for occasional camping.
bodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:58 am

Unfortunately its still not as simple as offering to work in exchange for camping. Technically that would count as you being employed, and if anything happened to you that would be the responsibility of the woodland owner, who would be liable for any injuries. They'd need to have liability insurance to cover you unless you were fully insured to carry out work yourself, with the appropriate certificates. You see the 'issues' I mentioned... its not that straight forward having others casually working or staying in your wood.
oldclaypaws

Postby bodger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 am

Have you heard of gratuity. I do see your point though and perhaps I'd do better to forget my quest. Thank you for your guidance. I'll unsubscribe.
bodger

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Sorry nothing of interest to be offered at present. No need to unsubscribe as many people with an interest in woodlands keep in touch and use the forum as a knowledge base and to add to the experiences Regards B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby bodger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for your reassurance, I wont. Live in hope, a good new year to you both
bodger

Return to Meet Your Woodland Neighbour