Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wood owner average age

Here's a place for 'Off Topic' discussions and general chit chat between member. Please keep to the guidelines of the forum, and if it turns into a useful 'Woodie' type discussion, hop back and post it over in the appropriate section in the main forum.

Wood owner average age

Postby Landpikey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 am

With AndyM having his 61st birthday today, I was wondering what the average age was for new wood owners. Many people dream of owning a woods but with Univeristy costs, marriage, mortgage/rent, cars, kids, pension saving, cost of living etc etc it isn't something that most twenty-somethings can afford.

I am most likely not alone in wishing I'd taken the jump into ownership years ago.

I'm sure Woodlands.co.uk and other such companies have gathered information of this type to help target advertising.

For the record I am 46.
Landpikey

Re: Wood owner average age

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:32 am

well a few of the plot holders in our woods inc me, have only been able to buy our woods, due to parents dying and leaving us either property's to sell, or huge wads of cash,
could never have afforded it otherwise
bought ours at 49yrs, 50 now
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 am

I saved my pocket money, and bought the woods when I was 30. My woodland neighbour is 33.
Bearwood

Postby Rankinswood » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:27 am

After a long 5 year search, I eventually managed to buy my woodland when I was 49 years old. Since then the Douglas fir has tripled in volume so what age does that make me now ?

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby jennysmate » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am

I bought mine 17 years ago, when prices were more reasonable, with my redundancy money, All my other purchases have been thrown away or exchanged, but my wood has got better over the years. I'm now 60 and still enjoy every visit.
jennysmate

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am

Its not age that matters, its what you do with your life. Too many people sit on a dream and never realise or even try to go for it. If you are fit, determined and have the application and imagination, most dreams are possible. I've lived an interesting, some might say unusually colourful life, not by chance, but because I want to look back and think my time on the planet wasn't wasted; if you have an idea, go for it. Life, the Universe, The World, its all amazing and you need to get off the sofa and go for it. A zeal for living, sense of fun and living life to the full keep you young, fit and alive.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:11 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Its not age that matters, its what you do with your life. Too many people sit on a dream and never realise or even try to go for it. If you are fit, determined and have the application and imagination, most dreams are possible. I've lived an interesting, some might say unusually colourful life, not by chance, but because I want to look back and think my time on the planet wasn't wasted; if you have an idea, go for it. Life, the Universe, The World, its all amazing and you need to get off the sofa and go for it. A zeal for living, sense of fun and living life to the full keep you young, fit and alive.

Noticed you didn't give your age away!
46 when I purchased, 47 now.
Wendelspanswick

Postby smudge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Im 58 a workmate told me you only get one life theres no second chance & after some family & friends have died before reaching retirement ive decided to retire at 60 I have a lot of things I want to achieve in life & one is getting the woodland into a great place to come & chill out in go out now once a week with at least one plant or tree,
smudge

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Wendelpanhandle said

Noticed you didn't give your age away!

At a molecular level, based on contemporary astrophysical theory, I believe my component bits are 13.8 Billion years old, although they might have been 'recycled' a few times.

One quite fetching carbon atom in my left kneecap started out as a fusion between three helium atoms in a sun in the andromeda galaxy, was sucked into a black hole, was blown out in a supernova 7.2 Billion years ago, circulated in a gas cloud for around 1.2 Billion years, landed on a Comet, did a few circuits of a young 'Sol', crashed into an Asteroid, fragmented into the Oort Cloud, got picked up by another Comet, crashed in Tungusta, Russian, was absorbed into a potato, turned into Vodka, and drunk in a shaken not stirred Martini, by me. (It was a 'dirty' Martini with brine and an Olive).

On examination of that said Carbon atom at a sub-atomic level, what do you know? It looks like a little universe, with lots of little worlds spinning round a 'sun' or 'nucleus.' Spooky.
Last edited by oldclaypaws on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm

I will say I predate the M1.

'M1' is both a motorway passing Luton, and as Messier catalogue No.1 a Nebula in the constellation Taurus, aka the Crab Nebula. Its not too impressive currently, with a low magnitude, but when it was a supernova in AD 1054 it looked quite impressive. At the time Siward of Northumbria was marching North against Macbeth. As a supernova is was an impressive sight reflected off the night sky off the Firth of Forth. ;)
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to Lounge Room