Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ivy

Trees and Plants!

Re: Ivy

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 pm

have to say Im all for the Ivy, it's just coming into blossom and my bees love it
Dexter's Shed

Postby Treeation » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Yes, the discussion was about Ivy.

Again, theres is definitely good ecological reason to leave ivy to do its thing in an woodland ecosystem. Ecologically it does provide an awesome habitat for many. Im still not 100% convinced that ivy only dominates stressed trees, I see many examples of very healthy trees such as mature sycamores caked in the stuff. BUT The real factors for intervention in my eyes are as follows.....

Veteran trees----It may be a good management decision to manage heavily infestations of ivy if the primary objective is tree survival. In some cases keeping a veteran tree alive will outweigh the habitat potential of favouring ivy. Ivy will supress any inner bud activation in a veteran tree crown which an old tree needs to do as it reaches the stage of retrenchment (stag heading).

Safety------ It is in impossible to survey any tree for safety covered in ivy this may apply to trees near to buildings, footpaths, roads, picninc areas etc

High value timber trees----They do need that little bit of extra care, anyone who has felled a timber tree caked in ivy will know how much time it takes to remove ivy which can even tip the balance of wether that tree is commercially viable to process. Yes, there is an argument that species prone to epicormic growth (oak) may not be so greatly affected with ivy cover as light cannot activate buds on tree bole that would decrease timber value.

Tree surgery---------Any trees in your woodland that may require tree surgery for safety or aesthetic reasons should be considered for ivy management. You will be adding money to your tree surgery bill if you don't. Climbing trees with ivy is very difficult. This means more time taken do complete a job which means your bill will be bigger.
Treeation

Ivy Tidal Wave

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 am

One concluding novel photo to add to the previous 'Ivy' thread;

My garage had Ivy growing densely up one side. The recent storms from the South got under it at the top, and it 'peeled' back, falling to the North in a rather spectacular frozen Ivy 'Tsunami'.

[attachment=0]ivy tidal wave.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
ivy tidal wave.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 am

Paws, out of curiosity, had the ivy done any damage to the wall??
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:59 am

None. -Although from experience if you forceably pull it off an old manmade structure and its well entwined, its then that bits of the structure can become dislodged. Its starting to grow up the side of our house and I need an effective treatment to stop it as its becoming a pain.
oldclaypaws

Postby Terry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:29 am

Looking at the picture again, while it is quite thick, it seems to be made up of a lot of younger shoots so maybe not in place long enough to get stuck into the wall - literally.
No doubt given enough time it would have, or started working in under the edge of the roof.
Terry

Previous

Return to Trees and Plants