Brambles

Trees and Plants!

Re: Brambles

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat May 24, 2014 4:20 pm

works on bracken though
SitkaSpruce

Postby davetb » Sun May 25, 2014 5:15 am

smojo wrote:I seem to remember seeing on tv, a long machete with a curve on the end being used in some jungle somewhere to clear undergrowth. Seemed like a great tool for clearing brambles etc that would give a high degree of control around young trees, saplings etc. OK a lot harder work than a petrol brushcutter but a lot cheaper too. Maybe adequate for some gradual selective clearing rather than nuking them. Anyway a bit of googling found this. Might have to invest in one when I get my wood for some initial light clearing. Anyone got one/used one?

http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/grass-slasherweeder-p13

Hi,
I bought one of these a few years ago. USELESS.
Just about manages grass and even then it gives you a blister through gloves with the very uncomfortable gap between the two bits of wood on the handle.

Even though they're now banned I love my chain flail attachment for the brush utter. It's still legal to use it as a private individual. I have just cut the end link off to now make it an 8 link chain. However, it can also cut through 3 inch trees so areas to be cleared are Properly cleared.
davetb

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 25, 2014 10:24 am

Give Smojo a couple of years, firstly to formally take possession of his wood, then several months of blisters and wounds from the masochistic practice of manually slashing brambles and choking on bramble smoke, he may in time see someone else using a brushcutter in a neighbouring wood and ask 'can I have a go?' Ten minutes later he'll regret the wasted months of doing brambles by hand, and eagerly start looking for a brushcutter, having had a vision like Paul on the road the Damascus. The analogy is like the difference between using a chainsaw v. trying to chop logs with a hammer and chisel. If in doubt, do yourself a favour, go to a local hire centre and try one for a day at £20. It'll do more than you can by hand in a month. You'll notice highways guys cut verges with brushcutters, not sycthes.

I attach a link to my previous brushcutter review, for when the delusions of using hamster bumfluff tools start to fade; :roll:

http://www.swog.org.uk/forum//viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1685&p=10116&hilit=husqvarna#p10116

They will shoot again from the root, which you need to get rid of. Either dig out, pull with a Canterbury fork, or spot squirt with SBK. Give it a year and you'll have a carpet of different regenerating wildflowers.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Give Smojo a couple of years, firstly to formally take possession of his wood, then several months of blisters and wounds from the masochistic practice of manually slashing brambles and choking on bramble smoke, he may in time see someone else using a brushcutter in a neighbouring wood and ask 'can I have a go?' Ten minutes later he'll regret the wasted months of doing brambles by hand, and eagerly start looking for a brushcutter, having had a vision like Paul on the road the Damascus.

:oops: ;)

I love re-inventing the wheel, it helps to pass my life away! OK Paws you win on this one. Brushcutter it is ... but have you seen this. Smojo Vs OCP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 25, 2014 4:05 pm

This guy used to use a sycthe, but tells me he's thrilled with his new brushcutter. That's progress baby.

death_scythe_1680x1050.jpg

(how to waste 30 minutes with photoshop !)
oldclaypaws

Postby davetb » Sun May 25, 2014 8:53 pm

smojo wrote:
Give Smojo a couple of years, firstly to formally take possession of his wood, then several months of blisters and wounds from the masochistic practice of manually slashing brambles and choking on bramble smoke, he may in time see someone else using a brushcutter in a neighbouring wood and ask 'can I have a go?' Ten minutes later he'll regret the wasted months of doing brambles by hand, and eagerly start looking for a brushcutter, having had a vision like Paul on the road the Damascus.

:oops: ;)

I love re-inventing the wheel, it helps to pass my life away! OK Paws you win on this one. Brushcutter it is ... but have you seen this. Smojo Vs OCP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

Brushcutters are fairly useless on flat grass, compared to a mower or maybe even a scythe.
My brushcutter with a chain flail can't cut any grass - the grass gets wrapped around the chains.
I do have grass in my wood, and use a mower.
However, where there are brambles / brush.....
davetb

Brambles and Oops

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm

When you have one good hand, the left one in a cast, and a months worth of wet tall lawn with lots of bits that need manoeuvring round, looking like the Serengeti, a brushcutter is a no brainer; no mower or scythe could cope with it. Achievement of the day, I did the lawn !! The giraffes were not amused but the hyaenas thought it was hilarious.

If the only thing I can do the next few weeks is have an occasional pop at the brambles and discover some new parts of the inner jungle, it won't feel such a total waste of time.
oldclaypaws

Postby Binz » Tue May 27, 2014 7:18 am

yeah, typical of giraffes, always looking down on people
Binz

Postby Rankinswood » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 am

Whilst watching BBC Springwatch nestcams today I noticed that bramble would appear to be the nesting site of preference for robins and bullfinches and so maybe any attempts at clearing this woodland shrub should be avoided at this time of year.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 am

Rankinswood wrote:Whilst watching BBC Springwatch nestcams today I noticed that bramble would appear to be the nesting site of preference for robins and bullfinches and so maybe any attempts at clearing this woodland shrub should be avoided at this time of year.

Rankinswood

yes, definitely a winter job, we cut paths through, but leave plenty for the nesting birds in spring
Dexter's Shed

PreviousNext

Return to Trees and Plants