Small Woodland Owners' Group

damage to beech bark

Trees and Plants!

Re: damage to beech bark

Postby smojo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm still no nearer or clearer in my own head as to whether to take action over the squirrels. I guess I'll just observe more closely as to how much damage they continue to do. I read on the FC link Paws posted that bark stripping is usually between April and end of July. Hope the squirrels have a calendar. In these woods, a shooting syndicate previously leased it so I guess squirrel and deer have been minimised but now the lease has lapsed, we might see an increase in population and therefor more damage.
smojo

Postby jennysmate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:28 pm

as for them causing millions of deaths, are you referring to the black plaque ??? as that was caused by fleas, rats were only the host animal

The centre for disease control lists nearly a dozen diseases directly linked to rats, including bubonic plague. (I can use google too) and if you read my post I did say "perceived danger".
As for your list, as a Celt, I'd be proud to be on it.
jennysmate

Postby Lunar Wood » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 pm

One current theory it that it's not necessarily the squillies trying to get sugars but frustration at not getting enough 'nookie' during their mating season. Not being 'top dog'. Bring back the Red
Lunar Wood

Previous

Return to Trees and Plants