Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sick Sweet Chestnut

Trees and Plants!

Sick Sweet Chestnut

Postby Rod Taylor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:45 pm

How widespread is the problem of dying Sweet Chestnut ???
Have quite a few in our wood on the Sussex/Kent border and seen many more in numerous woods in the southeast. Some dead long enough to dry out and blow over showing the dark inky stained roots.
Reason for asking is recently attended a meeting about the new grant scheme and learnt that re-planting grants will only be applied to replacing diseased Larch or Ash. Asked the question if this will be extended to include replacing dead Chestnut. This was considered a valid point and worth lobbying for if a widespread enough problem.
Hence my question and interest to see how many SWOG members have dead/dying Sweet Chestnuts in their woods.
Rod Taylor

Re: Sick Sweet Chestnut

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:03 am

Hello

According to my wife "it all looks dead" I had to explain its just a cycle called Winter. Seriously I don't think I have an issue in East Sussex B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Sick Sweet Chestnut

Postby Steve Medlock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm also on the Kent/Sussex border and this has been a problem for the 8 years that I've had the wood so far.

I did get a chap from Defra to inspect and he did some indicator tests but he wasn't confident that he could identify which pathogen was causing the problem.

We have been gradually clearing the affected trees down to stool level and seeing how well they regenerate in the absence of better advice.

Steve.
Steve Medlock

Return to Trees and Plants