Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wild service tree seedlings

Trees and Plants!

Wild service tree seedlings

Postby TerryH » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi,
It's been a long time since I posted on the forum (been working far too hard for far too long). I hope you are all well?

I wanted to post this photo of some wild service tree seedlings we've just grown...
I was eating the berries from one of our trees for breakfast back in October and kept 40 or 50 of the seeds. They were really easy to germinate - just kept them in the fridge in some soil for three months first.
They're getting a bit too big for these little seed trays now so I have to think what to do next. I'll probably have to separate them into individual pots and then move them out onto the patio later on when there's no danger of frost.
I've got a few spaces in mind down at the wood (gaps in the hedgerow mostly) where I'd like to plant some of them eventually. I think I need to grow them a lot bigger before doing that, right? Like for a year or two perhaps..

Well, I have no idea really. It's a nice problem to have though, as I didn't expect to have any success at all and now I have a window sill full of service tree seedlings !

Anyone else here successfully grown trees from seed?

Terry
TerryH

Return to Trees and Plants