Small Woodland Owners' Group

Walnut Trees

Trees and Plants!

Walnut Trees

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:57 am

Whilst driving around Oxfordshire last weekend my eye was drawn to a tree alone at the side of the road surrounded by open field. It was a 20-30 foot Walnut tree with fruit. Is this common?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Walnut Trees

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:03 am

I've no idea how common they are, but we've just moved to a property in Kent and have a mature Walnut tree of at least the size you mention on our land surrounded by pasture. Some information here from the RHS.
SimonFisher

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 am

Hi Barrowers,

Walnut trees do grow quite well in Oxfordshire and I note that these are planted both in woodland and orchard environments.

The Oxfordshire Woodland Group planted up a native tree arboretum at The Earth Trust, Long Wittenham, South Oxfordshire but for some reason chose not to plant any walnut trees however many years later when attending a plaque unveiling ceremony in memory of Ken Broad at the arboretum I did note that many walnuts trees had become self seeded within the plantation and were growing at a rapid rate.

Once upon a time my own woodland in South Oxfordshire was part of the Walnut Tree Estate.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:56 am

Thanks Not so rare as I thought
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby SitkaSpruce » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Quite a lot of them in the National Forest. Wonder how they're doing?
We visited the National Forest in Derbyshire at Xmas. They celebrate 20yrs this year.

https://www.nationalforest.org/sponsor/ ... jaguar.php

I occasionally consider walnut trees for my wood but I think I am really to far north!
SitkaSpruce

Return to Trees and Plants