Small Woodland Owners' Group

New Species of Broadleaf evergreen

Trees and Plants!

New Species of Broadleaf evergreen

Postby Rich » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm just wondering what's going to happen to this coppiced chestnut stool. I cut it a couple of years ago and left the main stem up at about 3 feet to use as a chopping/work block. It's been under my a dark green work tarp ever since.

IMG_20160115_105059.jpg

I took all the bark off and have been occasionally snapping of the stems as they poke up from the base, but I can't get rid of it. This picture was taken a week ago on 15th January, as green as it was in July! Now not far off February it's still hanging in there! I wonder if it will bother with Autumn and Winter this year or just skip straight through to spring with the same foliage... saves a lot of hassle for it!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Re: New Species of Broadleaf evergreen

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:01 pm

I've noticed that while normal trees drop leaves in the autumn, coppiced trees will continue in leaf well into the winter, trying to put on max growth. Rather than a dormant period they seem to want as much growth as possible so they can defy the seasons, maybe more so with the mild winter.
oldclaypaws

Re: New Species of Broadleaf evergreen

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Our wood has quite a large number of overstood coppiced Hazel with a significant number of green leaves still on them. Have assumed the mild conditions are to blame for confusing the trees, and have also seen some spindly Hawthorn with healthy green looking leaves.
May look much less green on my next visit though after some heavy frosts last week.
Rod Taylor

Return to Trees and Plants