Small Woodland Owners' Group

Clearing diameter around oak saplings

Trees and Plants!

Clearing diameter around oak saplings

Postby erithacusrubecula » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:34 am

Hi
we have a woods of predominately Beech, but I've found a nice line of Oak saplings (six or seven) - but these are surrounded by Beech samplings, of which we have thousands.
I'd like to clear away the beech to give the oaks a better chance - it'll add diversity.
Any thoughts on what a suitable area around the oaks is enough to promote growth ?

Robin
erithacusrubecula

Re: Clearing diameter around oak saplings

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 am

You've not said what size your oak saplings are, but the majority succumb to white oak mildew at this time of year, when their roots are dry. The fungus reduces the saplings ability to photosynthesise and so they die if dry and shaded, they need sun. It might be an idea to give them a spray with a copper based mildew treatment available from a garden centre, and give them as much light as possible. You'll also need to consider deer protection such as tree guards, as the sods will nibble the bark.
oldclaypaws

Postby erithacusrubecula » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:34 am

OK thanks
I'll see what the garden centre has on sale and give them a spray.

rgds
erithacusrubecula

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Sulphur works to combat mildew and is also beneficial to plants.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 pm

The old copper treatments such as bordeaux mixture have been legislated out of existence owing to the very mild toxicity of copper and been replaced by new fangled long sounding chemical gunk.

There are some very simple and effective mildew solutions, such as a teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate in a litre, sprayed on. Available on ebay very cheaply- that's what I'm using, having looked into the most effective quick solutions. There are other alternatives such as vinegar, sulphur, & others, but they can burn the leaves. Milk + two parts water is another. And lots of water helps !
oldclaypaws

Return to Trees and Plants