Small Woodland Owners' Group

Is is possible to start the dream for under 10k

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Bofh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:04 pm

That would be ok for me Steve, I'd travel an hour to get to my little piece of Heaven. Sadly I don't seem to have that many friends with a wedge in the pocket looking to invest.

I'll keep looking though...

Bofh

Postby happybonzo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 am

This is why Mrs Bonzo and I are moving to France. Plenty of land and forestry available there from as little as 4K

happybonzo

Postby Binz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 am

a small plot, not in Kent but would be within an hour drive.

http://www.batchellermonkhouse.com/pdf.dtx?pdf={93E74660-5F91-463C-BD24-114C88C7F2C7}&p=

Only 0.75 acres and £5K. If it was a 0.75 wood on its own it wouldn't be worth considering IMHO; but its 0.75 in the middle of a large wood so may be worth considering by someone who just wants a place to chillout or whatever in the woods. What do you want the wood for? Your 1st post says recreation, but later post says business.

Binz

Postby Binz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 am

that link didn't work, try this one, then click on the brochure for map of where the wood is within the larger wood

http://www.batchellermonkhouse.com/property/estate-agents/details.dtx?propertyid=47DCB627-40F6-4BAA-8A34-EBF08928FDCF

Binz

Postby Bofh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 am

Hi Binz, thanks for the link but I need isolated land if possible, I shoot and would also be looking to allow people to use the land for field sports and overnight stays.

Bofh

Postby Meadowcopse » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 pm

The price range might limit the plot size to one too small for varied shooting

Meadowcopse

Postby docsquid » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm

You may also find that woodland with sporting rights comes at a higher price than woodland without such rights - so you need to look at the fine detail when purchasing. I agree with Meadowcopse, the price range may limit the size such that the plot is too small for sustainable shooting, unless part of a larger area, or with arable land around it providing food for game birds etc. I would say it would be difficult to shoot our own 20 acres sustainably if that was one of the main purposes of your purchase.

docsquid

Postby Emma S » Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm

we have 160 acres, mixed wood and arable, and my father in law runs a small shoot. It can only be a small shoot because of the acreage, and it takes an awful lot to keep the birds on the place. They dont really like woodland alot, they prefer to be out but with cover available. They need pens for the little ones, Very well fenced and with electric wire, and need wing feathers pulling for the first 12 weeks or so. they need feed stations building and feeding daily. They need cover crops sewn for food and cover. and you need to make sure poachers or neighbours dont shoot them if they wander into someone elses land. you also need a fair amount of space per drive, and that needs to be in the open or they wont go high, and its not easy at all to shoot in woodland, unless you are looking at deer, and thats a whole other ball game in regards to licencing and training for rifles (which I am sure you know). You will also need high cover public liability insurance if you are allowing others to shoot on your land. You need more than 5 hectares to qualify for the 28 day permitted change of use which would give you the chance to do shooting without needing planning permission, and you will need to count in the overnight stays as 2 days. The council could argue that shooting will only give you 14 days use.

sorry to be a kill joy, but its a minefield out there, especially if you start getting guns involved.

Emma S

Postby wrekin » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 am

Where does the 5ha requirement for 28 days per year change of use come from? (The GPDO doesn't have a size requirement for temporary changes of use.)

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby Emma S » Fri May 04, 2012 10:35 am

oh, I thought it did. I think I got myself confused with agricultural permitted development - sorry, my mistake....

Emma S

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities