Small Woodland Owners' Group

What to wear in the woods

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

What to wear in the woods

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Any recommendations for clothing? What due you use when working in the woods? Walking clothes get pulled to bits when thrashing thru the trees and needs to be tick resistant. Picked up my first tick of the season in freezing February! I'm particularly thinking about trousers as a Barbour or fleece works for top half.
SitkaSpruce

Re: What to wear in the woods

Postby splodger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 am

i tend to wear combat style gear - it's practical, mostly tough wearing and comfy - also cheap and easy to get (for me anyway)
in this cold weather - i wear lots of layers - and fleeces - i am really skinny so get oversized clothes so that i can wear lots and lots of layers.

when it's really really cold - i don't do much outside - i sit in the shed in front of the woodburner drinking coffee :D
splodger

Postby Rod Taylor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am

Normally wear a cotton boilersuit over ordinary clothing and peel it off before jumping back in the car to leave. Surprisingly warm when zipped up as they trap body warmth in, shrug off most things, keep your clothes clean and are hard wearing. Not sure I would have chosen white had they not been 'donated' by previous employers as they do tend to show the stains, but amazingly the wildlife totally ignores them and comes quite close... Must spend too much time in the woods and be accepted as part of the scenery.
Rod Taylor

Postby Solar Wood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Hello

I suggest as a female, a boiler suit is less than ideal unless you are an expert with a "SheWee" or have lots of ground cover. To get a suit off and on again is just an extra pain added to the aches in the muscles
It is also chilly when a breeze blows

What did the lumberjills wear back in the 1940s ?

Lumberjills were the Timber equivalent ofthe Land Army

Some interesting google things about the girls who worked the forests. Below is a poem taken from a website

FORESTER'S
They’re tramping through the forest
They’re brushing past the undergrowth
They have but one desire
They’re greatest thought, their highest aim,
To see in Britain, Peace again
They have no tanks or rifles,
They have no stripes or drill,
They have no ships or aero planes
But Britain needs them still,
They’re fighting hard with axe and saw
They’re Britain’s ‘Women’s Timber Corps’.
They’re proud of their profession,
Bad weather does not count;
They bring the tall trees crashing down
The piles of pit props mount,
They’re doing their bit to win the war
This almost unknown ‘Timber Corps’
Solar Wood

Postby Binz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 am

cheapo shirt from Scats.
Walking trousers (e.g. Craghoppers) as they dont soak up water and zip pockets so keys and phone wont fall out, you can get lined versions for when it's really cold and normal ones aren't too hot under chainsaw gear; TK Max or GoOutdoors are cheapest places.
Binz

Postby Chunkymunky » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Army combats, para boots, craghopper jacket and long sleeve t shirt. Covera bases.

Most important is good boot socks
Chunkymunky

Postby Binz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 am

"Most important is good boot socks"

1000 Mile socks are great
Binz

Postby Bulworthy Project » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Army combats: they're tough and they're cheap. Or charity shop jeans.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby docsquid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 pm

They aren't terribly camo, but I find old skiing trousers to be excellent. Very insulating, designed for active movement, so they don't get in the way, and baggy enough to wear long-johns underneath as well. We have a couple of open days over the Easter weekend and my ski trousers are definitely going to get an outing. Ski jackets are likewise good as they tend to be made of techy fabric and thus are waterproof and breatheable. Otherwise, my chainsaw trousers are padded and tend to keep me relatively warm apart from the annoying non-padded bit at the small of the back.

I have lots of ski trousers available as I used to be a ski instructor - but you can buy them very cheaply from TK Max (I got a new pair for about £20), and they are good for girls as they don't involve getting undressed every time nature calls :D
docsquid

Postby Meadowcopse » Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 am

When on-site with my proper job and back home out and about in woods, fields and hedges I tend to use workwear by Snickers (nothing to do with chocolate bars).
http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk I tend to go for the black 'Bob-the-Builder' one-piece number with a walking base-layer underneath and maybe a short jacket again by Snickers.
At work we used to use stuff by Dickies and it wears faster both in use and industrial laundry process, after a wash, the Snickers stuff still looks new a couple of years later...
Meadowcopse

Return to Woodland Activities