Small Woodland Owners' Group

shelters

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

shelters

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:07 pm

we haven't worried too much about shelters since getting our woodland, we have a pop up gazebo that we use to cover our DD hammocks when camping, but as an avid watcher of e bay, when this came up I thought how good it would be,erected and left in our woods, will come in handy to sit under on really sunny days, or more likely, really wet days, but leaving it standing means we can position the shave horse and other wood crafts stuff inside,

http://youtu.be/O2kTuCQVlXU
Dexter's Shed

Re: shelters

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 am

well we spent last weekend at the woods with a few friends, my main helper and his other half were staying and trying out their new DD hammocks that I had bought them as a wedding present, as we had not set up an A frame from a tree, I suggested they use the new marquee as it's strong enough, they used it and were very snug, due to the rain at 2am, I can see the marquee coming in very useful in the wetter/colder months as a shelter whilst working at the woods, so much so that I bid and won this quite cheaply on e bay, will get fitted to the back end, we can then boil a kettle or even cook on wet days rather than trying to get a fire going in the pit

Dexter's Shed

Re: shelters

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 am

well, did a bit of extra work on the log burner, fitted a makeshift door catch, added some fire rope to the door seal, and gave it it's first coat of black heatproof paint, and moved it to the center of marquee, once the colder weather comes we will add the side back on and use the zipped doorway at the end, still need to fabricate a roof flange so we can take the flue pipe straight up, but lit a small fire to help cure the paint and rope and it heats up lovely, can see this being well used when were coppicing the Hazel, will probably add a small hazel panel behind it to act as a heat deflector

Dexter's Shed

Return to Woodland Activities