Small Woodland Owners' Group

beehives

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: beehives

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:45 pm

the box your calling a nursery hive, is basically what I would collect a swarm in, does it have around 6 frames inside?
a swarm of bees would be ok in one of those for quite a few months, then as all the frames are filled, moved upto a bigger hive, although not the best weather for doing it in, if we had a nice day you could try a cut out, using a chainsaw to cut open the trunk of blown down tree, and transfer bees from trunk to hive (not for the faint hearted)
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:45 pm

the box your calling a nursery hive, is basically what I would collect a swarm in, does it have around 6 frames inside?
a swarm of bees would be ok in one of those for quite a few months, then as all the frames are filled, moved upto a bigger hive, although not the best weather for doing it in, if we had a nice day you could try a cut out, using a chainsaw to cut open the trunk of blown down tree, and transfer bees from trunk to hive (not for the faint hearted)
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:52 pm

theres a mix of allsorts in the big pile of bits - only took a few pics of key bits

re the nursery box - it can take frames (got plenty) but i've got no formation or anything just yet

can't get to the place where the bees are at mo - and it's quite precarious, so not going to try any cutting for now - and i'm certainly not going to look for the queen / move the bees - without any protective gear
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

you can order 10 sheets of wax foundation from here

http://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

get it set up and place as close to the bees as is possible

or

if the tree/log is laying on its side, and you can see the entrance, although they should'nt be flying at the moment, you could try another way, using one of the not so good hive bodys, fix it so that its over the entrance, place as many frames as you can inside, seal the base and stick a lid on it, you could also place a feeder inside with a 50/50 sugar water syrup, bit hard to explain, but you want to make it so that to enter or exit the log, they have to pass through the box you have put in place, having new wax and food in their new corridoor so to speak, may get them building in that section,
check out you tube using the wording trap outs

whats your size splodge? height/weight, as have a spare suit here I gladly send you for free if it'll fit
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:21 am

thanks DS
a few bees were out and about day after tree came down - looks like their own honeycomb had moved and was blocking the entrance - it's not really possible to get that close, or to fit anything onto the nest. if i can get to the woods in next day or two i'll try and take some pics of the nest - here are some not very good pics of the tree - you can't really guage size / scale in pics but where it's snapped, the trunk is resting on rotten wood (about 5ft off ground) and it could drop at anytime - so working in the area is extremely dodgy. it's going to take time and patience to clear this one.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

Dexter's Shed wrote:whats your size splodge? height/weight, as have a spare suit here I gladly send you for free if it'll fit

thats very kind of you - i'm slim, 5ft 6 - not sure of weight (about 60 kg) - an oversized suit would be ideal :D
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

the suit aint oversized, and it aint the best, but it'd get you started, a pair of wellies and a pair of marigolds and your sorted, send me your address, and I'll get it in the post to ya
Dexter's Shed

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities