Small Woodland Owners' Group

Benders

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Benders

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm looking to construct a rustic shelter as 'base camp' later this year, when I'll be spending a fortnight almost living in the wood. (Of all things, having an open air craft exhibition in a clearing).

While benders don't look like rocket science, I'd appreciate pointers to any articles, youtube flicks, tarp suppliers, hints, experiences and pictures. It would be good if we could make it quite interesting in its own right, that is a pleasing architectural shape rather than looking like tripping new age travellers with feral kids and a magic mushroom habit. Quite like hemispheres & roundness. (That's why I married Mrs Paws, aka 'Der Oberstgruppenfuhrer', she reads the forum now so I'll get it in the neck when she reads that. -Stick the kettle on pet.)

We're not short of Hazel to act as a frame. Budget is not unlimited, and size may be around 10 x 20 ft covered area max. Don't do 'white', got to be green, with a decorative twist if possible? Currently know nothing about optimum tarp weight, ropes, ties, clips, bungee cord and all that, so starting as a novice and would value your tips.
oldclaypaws

Re: Benders

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 am

we have a bender set up in our woods (used as workshop) but it's a more perm' structure - made from iron / tin etc so not much help to you

we do use quite a bit of tarp though - the best we have is off the side of a lorry - those lorry covers are super strong and last for years - think we picked up ours from a mechanic who was doing a refit job.
splodger

Postby Rich » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 am

If you're going to use Hazel, or any other wood you can get to bend for that matter, make sure you clean all the knots and roughness from the top side before you put the tarp on. The tarp will be constantly moving and flexing in the wind and without too much effort, soon wear through cheaper thinner tarps and eventually any tarp no matter how expensive.

Someone gave me an old polly tunnel a few years ago and I used the poles of it for storing firewood. It lasted about 3 years out in the open.
Attachments
12092010951.jpg

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:16 pm

oldclaypaws wrote: with a decorative twist if possible?

shame your not closer, as we know a guy who can get us the old covers from those large rotating billboard signs that you see dotted about, sizes vary but are massive to say the least
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:49 pm

the old covers from those large rotating billboard signs that you see dotted about

Here in Zummerzet the only signs we see are 'scrumpy £2 a gallon' and 'well rotted muck for sale'. The only things you see rotating by the roadside here are combined harvesters!

Thanks for the thought Dexy. I see you've now lost all your bushcraft credibility by becoming a 'caravan man'. Don't forget the essential frilly net curtains, tartan slippers, little white picket fencing, plastic flamingoes, Daily Mail and other caravan comforts. Softy. :lol:

caravan.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Rankinswood » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I love that caravan. Absolutely perfect for the woodland.

What make / year please.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:22 pm

as we speak, my missus is tearing down the chinzy curtains, and re covering the seats, making new curtains in good old British DPM, and once the blasted rain stops its nato green all the way :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Meadowcopse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:45 am

Talking of Nato green and caravans, the camo wasn't as subtle back at home...

A bit behind with the internal refit over winter, but rather commodious interior.
Attachments
caravan.jpg
Meadowcopse

Postby Bearwood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 am

How set are you on making a bender Paws? Is the decision cost or environmentally driven?
My reason for asking is that I have and army 12x12 tent that is absolutely bomb - proof and has survived some terrible conditions with zero ill effects despite having a small hole in the roof when I bought it. As a bit of a treat I bought a new main section (in typical military - style they are modular with the sides and roof being one part, and the ends being the other) which I'm going to fit in the next couple of weeks.

If you want, you can have the current canvas main section. You could either use it as a tent and fashion poles to suit it in its intended form, or cannibalise it for use in a bender. The canvas has thinned in places, but has years left, it has the added bonus of being olive drab also!!
Bearwood

Postby Bearwood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 am

Meadowcopse wrote:Talking of Nato green and caravans, the camo wasn't as subtle back at home...

A bit behind with the internal refit over winter, but rather commodious interior.

Crikey. That looks brilliant! I'm embarking upon a similar project myself from an old Brockhouse fuel bowser from RAF Tangmere which had been used as a hay trailer. I'm not as far advanced as you though:
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1390030756457.jpg
Bearwood

Next

Return to Woodland Activities