Small Woodland Owners' Group

Becoming more efficient

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: Becoming more efficient

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 am

It sometimes seems that there are as many ways of processing from tree to fire as there are people doing it. Everyone has there preferred way depending on their resources and the volume of wood they're dealing with. Reducing or minimising the number of times you have to handle the wood makes sense and for me that also means felling, cutting to length and splitting at the same time.

Right now I'm thinning some oaks where the main trunks are typically 200-300mm diameter. The wood in those trunks is going to season a lot quicker if they're opened. Do I want spend the extra time splitting them long with wedges then leaving the lengths for a year or two, or cut them to final length and split them with a maul? I go for the latter and I'm all done. The logs are then stored in crates (roughly thrown in rather than neatly stacked) with a rain-proof top and I'm all done. That works for me.
SimonFisher

Postby ballibeg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 am

splodger wrote:do you put green, wet wood in those bags ? :?

i can't see the point of bagging up wet stuff and storing it - not least because that takes up shed space - surely leaving outside on the wood floor to season naturally would be far more efficient

Bags have mesh sides which gives good drying airflow. Bags sit outside on pallets with a tarp over the top.

Nature dries them, I sell them!

Dave
ballibeg

Postby splodger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:24 am

ballibeg wrote:
splodger wrote:do you put green, wet wood in those bags ? :?

i can't see the point of bagging up wet stuff and storing it - not least because that takes up shed space - surely leaving outside on the wood floor to season naturally would be far more efficient

Bags have mesh sides which gives good drying airflow. Bags sit outside on pallets with a tarp over the top.

Nature dries them, I sell them!

Dave

arhh - not seen the bags with mesh sides - see what you're on about now ;)
splodger

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 am

ballibeg wrote:Trying these vented bags for log sales. Stack them with FEL two high with a pallet under each. I'm cutting out handling stages.

Have you just started using these bags Dave? I'm just wondering how they stand up after 2 years out in the sun/wind...RAIN!
I've been using these smaller polyweave bags for logs.

http://www.globepackaging.co.uk/polythe ... sacks.html

They're really stong, but tend to break down after a couple of years, I think it's the sunlight more than anything. I'd be a shame to store them for 2 years then have them fall apart when you go to fork them on.

Did the manufacturer offer any ideas about long they last?

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 am

These commonly seen white 'builders bags' are known in the trade by the inconvenient label of 'FIBC's, meaning in jargon Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers.

I think that makes a Jewson's lorry driver a FIBCHO, or Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container Handling Operative.

They are 'degraded by UV, dependant on location and weather conditions' = they rot outside. I bagged up a couple full of garden waste and never got round to taking them to the tip. 18 months on, they look a bit sad. Not sure they are a long term log storage solution if getting at all damp or open to sunlight, there's a risk they'll eventually split during handling.

Notice 'construction is 100% virgin polypropylene'. If there is such a thing as non-virgin polypropylene, it confirms there are some very strange people out there. :?
oldclaypaws

Postby ballibeg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Material rated for 10 years. Certificate of testing on the bag. Time will tell.

Various suppliers nationwide.

Similarly rated bags have been used successfully for logs by other suppliers. I'm just copying.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Dave
Have you got a link?

I rang up

http://bagsupplies.com/

this afternoon and they said that their bags were not treated for UV light because it worked out too expensive. I think you mentioned yours were £7 and I must admit, I didn't ask the price, as it seemed a bit pointless to carry on the conversation... apparently most people use them out of direct sunlight... oh!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby ballibeg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:29 pm

I know Bag Supplies have struggled to complete orders.

These folk used a lot. Can't find the web for my bags.

http://www.sgbaker.co.uk/browse/Ventila ... _na_m.html

Dave
ballibeg

Postby ballibeg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Found the link!

http://www.logbags.com/

States UV stabilised in blurb.

'
Bulk Vented Log Bags manufactured by BSFL Packaging use UV stable breathable woven polypropylene fabric permitting the logs to season as quickly as possible during the drying out process. As with our other range of firewood sacks / Sack Truck “Barrow” Bags the bulk vented log bags can be folded away when not in use to reduce damage the sunlight.'

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Ok thanks Dave

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities