Small Woodland Owners' Group

Camp furniture/crafts

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Camp furniture/crafts

Postby Zenith » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Since doing some selective thinning in our woodland, I have several 'poles' stacked up from the saplings removed, mostly sycamore. They can't all be used for bean stakes in the garden, so I thought of having a go at making some 'furniture' for our camp site.

I'm not what you'd call a handy person, but the thought of having a go at something that does not need to look as if it's come out of a showroom interests me.

I'm thinking of very simple benches and/or chairs and wondered if anyone on here has made anything else that might be worth trying.

Photos of projects would be nice.

Thanks
Zenith

Re: Camp furniture/crafts

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:49 am

I'd recommend 'Green Wood Chairs' by Alison Ospina, available on Amazon for < £10.

Its simple rustic stools, etc, made from the sort of material you describe. Quite a few ideas also in Ben Laws book, and 'Coppicing and Coppice crafts' by Rebecca Oaks & Edward Mills. All informative good reads. Once you've got the basic tools and ideas the only limitation is your imagination (and the shape of your customers!).

Sycamore is strong, easy to bend and takes stains well, so is well suited to furniture.
oldclaypaws

Re: Camp furniture/crafts

Postby Zenith » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks, I'm going to order it now.
Zenith

Return to Woodland Activities