Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby Woodsmith » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 pm

These shelters are fantastic and not too difficult to build. Will withstand most weather if you use a decent cover. Details on how to build this and other styles in Mike Abbotts book living woods which is a great read.
http://www.living-wood.co.uk/books.html
Attachments
shelterp1000796ui8.jpg
Mike Abbotts bodgers shelter
Woodsmith

Postby smojo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Woodsmith - that looks great and so does the book - thanks for that.
smojo

Postby Andy & Heather » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 am

We started down the tarp route but found that whilst it was good at keeping off the rain, we could not escape the freezing winter wind. Maybe that is just because we have a young woodland in an exposed location. We then purchased a windbreak which helped a bit, but we still froze everytime we stopped to light our kelly kettle. We found we were getting too cold to do a full day's work.

Our solution: a cheap 2-man pop up tent -quick and easy to put up and totally wind and water proof. We also bought a 5 litre thermos flask so we didn't need to light the kettle everytime we needed a warm drink.

If we had not been able to get permission for a permenant shelter, we had decided we were going to purchase a 'QUECHUA Base Seconds Pop Up Living Area - Camping Shelter'. It may not look as good as a tarp, etc, but at least it would give you a dry, windfree shelter that can be put up and down in a few minutes.
Andy & Heather

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am

I sort of used the Mike Abbot method, but made it big enough to drive in and unpack my trailer in the dry. Obviously way bigger and I've no idea if it will survive a winter, especially if we have one like the last, but it was fun to make!

DSC_0291.JPG

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 am

Hello

Rich That looks like a posh trailor
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm

It's a military radio ops unit, lockable and sort of waterproof, makes it a bit more useful for taking stuff to and from the wood and leaving it for short periods.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Woodsmith » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I also have a Sankey, I get terribly worried that the lightweight towing eye might break :D :D :D
Woodsmith

Postby Rich » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 am

Yeah I know what you mean, it's a bit underengineered! The most important thing is to concentrate when hitching up, don't talk to anyone, take phone calls or day dream about the days events, I forgot this elementary lesson once and didn't close the jaws and put the pin in. It went for about 3 miles before the charabang divided :o

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby smojo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 am

I like your version of the shelter Rich. The extra cross members under the tarp look like they could be used to store hazel rods if you wanted to. I'm desperately trying to get my engineering head around the structure though. I know the triangle is a very stable shape but it still looks like it should just fall over :?

A pop up shelter is ok just for a bit of - get out of the wind and rain - but I'm looking for something bigger where I could have a table or maybe a shave horse eventually.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 am

try looking on evil bay for garage/marquee

sorry about the plus 2 minutes of babbling, head ranger does like to talk to himself

http://youtu.be/_qdTiKSElME
Dexter's Shed

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities