Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:01 am

Don't you have some sort of subterranean neolithic cave or tomb in your wood? Sounds quite cosy. I can just see you in there dressed in bearskins after a hard day being chased by woolly mammoths. (?)
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:11 am

I think I've finally settled on a shelter design for my woods. A tree house would be lovely but take too long to build. I want to use as much natural materials from my woods as poss. so am thinking of using the heavy hazel boughs from coppicing and some of the small diameter sycamore that will be available when I start thinning. OK they aren't the best woods to use for rot resistance but I don't have much else to use, maybe some larch but I don't have a lot and at present not allowed to fell them.

The design will be based on the one in the first Youtube link which I think is ace. Basically using the pole sized timbers as walls by stacking them between two upright posts. The roof will either be galvanised steel corrugated sheet or maybe heavy duty polythene laid over spars, then covered in poles to hide it and hold it down. The thing is though, what to use for the posts that will be in the ground? Syc and Hazel won't last long in the ground but what about larch that has been split from larger logs. Some of my neighbours have tons of Larch and it might be possible to do a good deal on some. Feedback welcome please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia--NQnv47M&list=FLv924y6Du53wM_df785-DHQ

This is similar but smaller than I would make. I wouldn't use polythene over the front either but I like the method of making the walls by stacking between two posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeN-ftbK_ro&list=PLTZ8JLm0h9EruRKwg_r-XmtFk4cEt5zv3&index=1
smojo

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:24 am

smojo wrote:... The thing is though, what to use for the posts that will be in the ground? ...

You could use Postsaver bitumen lined sleeves to improve life expectancy - http://www.postsaver.com/. I've used them on a few projects. Not sure they'd fit so well on split timber - probably needs to be rectangular or round.
SimonFisher

Postby Campievanner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Some of your neighbours have lots of larch and don't need it for wood burning either :)
Just needed to get the paperwork in - half done on my desk but work gets in the way too much though.

Looks good and look forward to seeing it.
Campievanner

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities