Small Woodland Owners' Group

Metal detector

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby RichardKing » Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Couple of years ago I found a piece of aluminium aircraft wreckage in my woods. Characteristic level aircraft rivets. Tight curved edge like it was from a wing or something, shot through and through with holes about 6mm or so. Remnants of dark green paint. Its still down the woods.

RichardKing

Postby greyman » Tue May 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Yes we found some more blasted tresspassersssss (too many s's man) One lot decided to bring thier grandchildren out to the countryside to look for bears and followed a deer path into our wood trampeling the Blue Bells. The other was a nice chap who had a lurcher on a slip lead looking for the other two dogs he had with him - one subsequently popped out of the undergrowth with blood all over it's muzzel. When I told him he was off the footpath and there was no public right of way he told me in no uncertain words that he'd been in the woods for the last twenty years and I wasn't going to stop him coming in them. i repeated that he was actually tresspassing with the scathing reply - "what ya gonna do - call the police". As for interesting 'fings in our wood we've identified another species of orchid - that makes 4 so far. there have been the occasional bits of bent rusty metal and the odd key hanginf from random nails in oak trees. There is evidence that an American bomber came down somewhere near - the guy who told me has never been able to find anything offical but he knows it came down there as he was a boy living in the area during the war.

Well that's my ramblings and taking things off piste.

Happy hunting - just don't have the sound up too loud.

greyman

greyman

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities