Small Woodland Owners' Group

Foraging opportunity

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby RichardKing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Sitka !

I have no problem with that.

Its not native.

Grown in plantations.

I would hardly describe it as "wild"

RichardKing

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:53 pm

You can make baskets with bramble

Darren

Postby jillybean » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:57 pm

I might make RK a thorny crown !

jillybean

Postby Kentish Man » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Hmm, what an interesting business idea that site has. I must admit, I love foraging, but only for myself and family. It seems deeply wrong to forage for profit somehow. I can understand the arguments about properly done, the enterprise can be local, have a low environmental impact, be sustainable, etc, but I'm not so sure its as simple as that. I'd like to know exactly where certain plants are picked from before being happy about eating them in a meal cooked by a top British chef - for example - is the lamb's lettuce from the dog-exercising green at the local park? Are the nettles from a busy roadside? Do they have the necessary paperwork to be taking crayfish?, etc, etc. I'm only happy to forage where I can justify to myself that the conditions are morally right, safe and lawful - i.e., from acceptable public land; away from roads and other sources of potential pollution; that there is an abundance of the item being foraged (and if taking any, only taking sustainable amounts of it) - whilst remembering all the time that the wildlife needs it and that that is more important than other people merely wanting it. Its a tricky subject, but fascinating.

I think I'll stick to my simple favourites - blackberries, cherries, apples, battered dandelion heads, sloe gin, sweet chestnuts, hawthorn tea - and sea fishing!

Kentish Man

Postby RichardKing » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:22 am

Yes jillybean.

I am the antichrist

RichardKing

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities