Small Woodland Owners' Group

Muck truck and variations...

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Catweazle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm

I use a converted Thwaites 4x4 2 ton dumper. It's wide, which means it's good on a side slope, but it's articulated so it has a good turning circle.

It has agri tread tyres, 4 wheel drive, a hand start 1600cc diesel Lister engine - so no battery or electrics to worry about, and decent hydraulics built in. Although the ancient engine is rated at a paltry 8.2HP the 1st gear is very low and it has pulled everything I have tried, the limiting factor is wheelspin even with tractor pattern tyres.

Mine has a lifting arm at the front which is useful for stacking stuff and will easily lift a builders skip bag full of chopped logs.

Worth a look.

Catweazle

Postby steve rollnick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 am

Thanks so much everyone. I guess I am looking for something small that can handle muddy slopes, on some quite narrow "paths" through this and that tree....... without mangling up the forest bed with its tracks..........and there's still no-one in the forum that has posted with experience of a muck-truck?

Come on, help!

Greyman clearly loves large dark ages vehicles, careering around like a demented urban tree mechanic...... I dont believe his story about delicate English flat woodland... (joke)

Off to the sloping mud for the weekend, to make some charcoal for the summer braai (South African compulsion), along with seven kids, some a bit grumpy about there 'phones not working in the wood.....

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

There is always a horse! Well an iron horse that is, apparently our neighbour's woodland manager has one so we are eagerly awaiting a demo!

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/ODW802.pdf/$FILE/ODW802.pdf

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Re: Muck truck and variations...

Postby microarbtruc » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi - the Muck Truck can cope with muddy conditions quite well, but it`s worth mentioning that the traction and stability is particularly improved when fitted with twin wheel on the front, not that I`ve had the need to but you can also fit the twin wheels to the rear axle. I have in recent years modified the standard Max version of the Muck Truck with my own designed Arb/Woodland attachments (you may of seen the article in a recent newsletter)

Where are you based, I am actually looking to do some more demonstration days with woodland owners

Feel free to look at our youtube channel and website links (website isn`t quite finished yet, does anyone ever finish a website!! lol)

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/utilityproductsuk/videos
Micro Arb Truck Website - http://microarbtruck.co.uk/index.php

Regards, Keith
microarbtruc

Postby steve rollnick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Greetings from South Wales (near Llandovery).

Oh me gawd, I see the above post from years back, and having been quiet on this forum for a while, now I have the same question, with an element of volume that feels staggering:

We have felled many larch, and have cut crosscut many hundreds of rounds, to an average length of 15" with an average diameter of around 12". We need to get theM around this way, across that way and down through the wood to the road below.

What's the best way to get them out of there?

HELP!

Steve
steve rollnick

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Hello

Maybe keep them long then cut

Stick to my initial decision King Quad with Trailer Did 11 miles the last weekend doing track maintenance ie going and getting tools etc That I would not have walked with a barrow
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities